Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Endoscopic sinus surgery is a procedure used to enlarge drainage passages in the nose and sinuses. Blockage of these passages can lead to sinusitis in which the sinuses become inflamed, causing pain and impaired breathing. The main symptoms of sinus problems in children are:
- Nasal drainage
- Impaired breathing
Endoscopic sinus surgery is designed to improve the drainage of the sinuses, as well as to improve airflow through the nose. By performing this surgery using a minimally-invasive approach, your child should experience faster recovery.
Goals for this surgery include:
- Reducing the number and severity of sinus infections
- Improving symptoms associated with sinusitis
- Improving airflow through the nose
How should I prepare my child?
Your doctor will give you very specific instructions about how to prepare for this procedure. Please follow those directions exactly.
Things you should know:
- Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed under general anesthesia
- Your doctor will use an endoscope, a thin camera rod with a light at the end, to provide visualization and magnification of the sinus tissues
- Specialized instruments can be used to safely and effectively remove causes of sinus blockage such as natural blockages, nasal polyps, and scar tissue
- Specialized instruments are also used to straighten the septum and reduce the size of the turbinates if required
- Endoscopic sinus surgery does not involve cutting through the skin, as it is performed entirely through the nostrils. By using a minimally-invasive approach, the least amount of tissue is removed to give the maximum benefit
Request an Appointment
Please call us at 443-997-6467 (443-997-OHNS) to make an appointment at any of our three locations.