Children can develop hearing loss due to genetics, medication use, trauma or illness. Some hearing loss may improve with medical or surgical treatment while other hearing loss may be permanent. However, in many cases, even permanent hearing loss can be assisted with hearing aid technology.
Our pediatric otolaryngologists (ENTs) at the Johns Hopkins work with other professionals to offer comprehensive care including:
Symptoms of hearing loss in children
If your child demonstrates any of the following behaviors, you should have him or her evaluated by a pediatric ENT:
- Failed hearing screening test
- Experiencing delayed speech and language
- Failing to respond when called
- Watching others for behavioral cues
- Speaking differently than children of the same age
If you suspect your child is having trouble hearing, it is important to have his or her hearing checked by an experienced pediatric ENT, who can make the appropriate recommendations. Your child's hearing test will be administered by an audiologist.
Your child's evaluation will include:
- Your child's complete medical history, a complete family history, as well as a thorough physical examination.
- Hearing test: There are many different kinds and ways to test young children, and at Johns Hopkins we have the skilled and experienced audiologists who can evaluate hearing loss in even the youngest of children.
- CT or MRI scan of the temporal bones or hearing bones may be ordered to try to identify a cause of hearing loss.
Your pediatric ENT will determine what medical and surgical options are available to treat your child's hearing loss.
If your child needs a hearing aid, the pediatric audiologists at Johns Hopkins have the experience and expertise to help find the right hearing aid or assistive listening device. We work with the manufacturers who make and develop current advanced hearing technologies and have a wide array of hearing aids for children. Your audiologist will work closely with your child on testing, fitting and fine tuning the hearing device.
Request an Appointment
Please call us at 443-997-6467 (443-997-OHNS) to make an appointment at any of our three locations.