Skip Navigation

COVID-19: We are vaccinating patients ages 12+. Learn more:

Vaccines, Boosters & 3rd Doses | Testing | Patient Care | Visitor Guidelines | Coronavirus | Self-Checker | Email Alerts


Philips Respironics issued a recall for some CPAP and BiLevel PAP devices and mechanical ventilators. Learn more.

Graduate Students

students in a classroom

Graduate students are eligible for federal student loans through the Department of Education.   Institutional scholarship funding is not available through the School of Medicine Financial Aid Office.  You may check with your graduate department for any scholarship opportunities.

To qualify for federal loans, students are required to complete the federal financial aid application FAFSA to determine aid eligibility.  (Note: International students are not eligible for federal aid).  Graduate students are considered independent for the federal Title IV programs. Income information for the student and/or spouse must be provided on the application to determine the financial status of the student.   Loan program includes:

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan -- Unsubsidized
    • Maximum yearly award amount - $20,500
    • Interest rate determined by June of each award year
    • Must be enrolled at least half-time
  • Federal Direct GradPlus Loan
    • May borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other aid or resources
    • Credit check required
    • Interest rate determined by June of each award year
    • Must be enrolled at least half-time

You may click on the specific loan for more information and processing requirements.  New students will be notified beginning in May of their award eligibility for the coming academic year. 

Below are the financial aid application instructions.

FAFSA Application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

  • Complete the FAFSA electronically at
  • Students who have never filed a FAFSA or who have filed but do not remember their FSA ID should first register/reapply for a FSA ID at  You may also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID for assistance.
  • Renewal FAFSA.  If you have previously filed a FAFSA or renewal FAFSA, you can save time by updating that data by using the renewal form.  The Department of Education is no longer mailing paper renewal forms, so you must file electronically to use this option.  You will need your FSA ID to access the system. 
  • Be sure to list The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine school code E00235 as a recipient of your data.

Note: Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid to be eligible for and to continue to receive federal financial aid.

back to top button