Financial Aid Eligibility

All students applying to the School of Medicine may apply for financial aid assistance.  However, students must meet certain citizenship requirements, be in good academic standing, and complete all required application forms for consideration of aid.

Citizenship Status

In order to qualify for federal financial aid at Hopkins, students must be one of the following categories:

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. nationals
  • U.S. permanent residents, or
  • hold an I-94 form with one of the following designations:
    • refugee
    • asylum granted
    • indefinite or humanitarian parole
    • Cuban Haitian entrant
    • status pending

What documentation is required for "Proof of U.S. Citizenship"?

U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship, certification of birth abroad, or certificate of naturalization are examples of acceptable documentation.  A birth certificate showing that you were born in the U.S. is also acceptable.  Note that only the original document will be accepted.  No copies will be accepted.  When you come into the Financial Aid Office, we will make a copy for our files and return the original document to you.

What documentation is required for "Proof of Permanent Residency Status"?

The standard document for a permanent resident of the U.S. is the Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (both referred to as "green cards").  Note that only the original document will be accepted.  No copies will be accepted.  When you come into the Financial Aid Office, we will make a copy for our files and return the original document to you.

International Student Status

As of the fall 2012, financial aid funding is available to all current and newly admitted Non-US resident medical students.  Financial aid assistance will be provided in the form of institutional loan and/or scholarship.

To assist medical students from outside the United States to study at Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins Medicine International has provided funding to create the JHM International Scholarship Program.  Its aim is to help nurture the next generation of health care leaders, in addition to help reduce the financial burden that non-US resident student’s may face when trying to attain medical education funding. More information regarding financial aid for International medical students can be found in the medical student section of the website.

Financial Need

All financial aid awarded through the School of Medicine Financial Aid Office is “need based.”  Therefore, all students are required to complete the federal financial aid application (FAFSA) to determine aid eligibility.  (Note: International students are not eligible for federal aid).  Graduate/professional students are considered independent for the federal Title IV programs. Income information for the student and/or spouse must be provided on the application to determine the financial status of the student.  Program eligibility:

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan -- Unsubsidized
  • Federal Direct GradPlus Loan
  • Federal Work-Study (available to rising second year medical students only)

Institutional scholarships and grants are also “need based.” Scholarships awarded through the financial aid office are for medical students only. New medical students who wish to be considered for JHU scholarship funds must complete the CSS Profile financial aid application.  Parental income and student income information is required on this application to determine scholarship eligibility.  Program eligibility:

  • General Scholarships
  • Stewarded Scholarships

Note: These scholarship funds are not made available to graduate students. Therefore, our graduate student population are not required to complete the CSS Profile application.  Scholarship or grant funding for graduate students are awarded through their department and not the Financial Aid Office.

Application Process

The School of Medicine Financial Aid Office will review student files on a rolling basis.  Completed applications received by the priority application date (as listed on the institutional financial aid application and instructions) will be given first consideration in the award process.  Student applications received after that date will be awarded based on availability of funds. Students must apply each year for financial aid.

FAFSA Application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

  • Complete the FAFSA electronically at
  • Students who have never filed a FAFSA or who have filed but do not remember their FSA ID  should first register/reapply for a FSA ID at  You may also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID for assistance.
  • Renewal FAFSA.  If you have previously filed a FAFSA or renewal FAFSA, you can save time by updating that data by using the renewal form.  The Department of Education is no longer mailing paper renewal forms, so you must file electronically to use this option.  You will need your FSA ID to access the system. 
  • Be sure to list The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine school code E00235 as a recipient of your data.

CSS Profile (New Medical Students only)

  • Complete the CSS Profile application electronically at SOM School code 5346.
  • $25 application fee is charged for processing. Fee structure information and other options for applying are located at
  • Profile, a needs analysis servicer used to award institutional aid, assists students and parents with completing the application. They may be contacted at 305-420-3670 or via email [email protected]
  • View the CSS/Financial Aid Profile Overview, tutorial and student guide on the profile website before completing the application. Note that the CSS Profile Application must be completed with student, spouse, and parental (both custodial and non-custodial) information.