Helpful documents and weblinks associated with each group are available by category below.
New Tip Sheets! We have new tip sheets to share with you:
Research Lab Orders in Epic & Billing explains the importance of linking lab orders to the research study and what happens when labs are drawn in error.
If you have any questions about how research fees work, this Understanding Research Fees and Statements tip sheet is for you!
Research Billing Buzz: Newsletter of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Office of Clinical Research Billing Compliance (CRBC)
CRBC shares with our stakeholders important and timely information related to our shared effort to ensure timely, compliant billing for research services.
The most recent issue and all past issues are available below to read and share.
- You can find 2022 issues by following this external link
- September 2020 "What Compliance is and What it is Not"
- August 2020 "Research Compliance and Documentation"
- July 2020 "Research Informed Consent Scanning Changes"
- May 2020 "Clinical Research Revenue FAQ"
- April 2020 "Research Fee Schedules"
- March 2020 "ClinicalTrials.gov"
- February 2020 "Clinical Research Billing: Frequently Asked Questions"
- January 2020 "Investigational Devices"
- November 2019 "Medicare Advantage Plans & Research"
- October 2019 "Revenue Cycle Management"
- September 2019 "CRMS- The Clinical Research Management System"
- August 2019 "The Prospective Reimbursement Analysis"
- July 2019 "The "The Importance of Clinical Research Billing Compliance"
- June 2019 "Financial Clearance: The Who, What & When"
- May 2019 "CRBC & Our "New Study Review"
- April 2019 "Welcome to Research Billing Buzz"
- Hospital Facility Charge Master Files - Please contact Clinical Research Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This document, titled "Understanding Clinical Research Billing" is a brief primer on the workflow processes supporting billing compliance related to all activity related to participation in clinical trials across Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- LMS Link to Clinical Research Billing Orientation (Online)
- Clinical Research Billing Training Enrollment Request (login for LMS required)
- This interactive learning session, titled "A Complete Guide to Clinical Research Billing Compliance" brings together several offices involved in the Clinical Research Revenue Cycle at Johns Hopkins and will provide you with information on what are the responsibilities of the Principal Investigator and other study team members in regards to the Clinical Research Revenue Cycle at Johns Hopkins. Our goal is to provide a foundation for understanding the key compliance related process to your studies and how CRMS and the Research Account Statement billing operate.
- Clinical Research Billing Commonly Used Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Making A Statement - Zoom Presentations May 5 - 16, 2020 - A 45-minute session focused on understanding your monthly Epic RSH Account statement for services billed back to a study budget in SAP.
- CRBC Policy on CRMS Enrollment and Reconciliation with IRB Continuing Review Data
- Commonly Used Abbreviations in Insurance Clearance Responses
- Understanding Insurance Verification for Research Participants - You can provide to your research participants to help answer financial clearance questions.
- Submitting Insurance Clearance in CRMS - This document explains the Insurance Clearance functionality available in CRMS. If your study has a Prospective Reimbursement Analysis - PRA - you are required to use this functionality.
As of September 1st, 2020 CRBC is no longer uploading signed consent forms into Epic. These resources will help you navigate this change:
Video Training for placement of Release of Information Flag (JHED ID Required - You may need to click twice)
The Executive Committee for Clinical Research billing approved the new hospital billing discount rates for 2021. See the letter from the Vice Dean for Clinical Investigation.
- CRMS Tips for Compliant Research Billing
- CRMS Main Login Page (login required)
- Letter from the Vice Dean of Clinical Investigation regarding use of CRMS
- CRMS Main Help (Wiki) Page - This link provides in-depth guidance on all facets of the CRMS application that study team members may encounter
- For CRMS Help email: email@example.com
- Entering a Budget # (Study I/O) in CRMS (.pdf) - This document explains how to enter budget numbers is CRMS. Studies with a Prospective Reimbursement Analysis, PRA, are required to enter this information in CRMS.
- Direct Study Billing Process FAQ - This document outlines how the Direct Study Billing Process supports timely invoicing of clinical services to research study budgets.
- Project Portal for epic@hopkins (login required)
- Training Portal for epic@hopkins (login required)
- Epic Clinical Research Project Team Confluence Site (login required) - This site contain extensive material related to Clinical Research Functionality in the epic@hopkins application