Director: Lisa Mullen, M.D.
Johns Hopkins offers a one-year fellowship in breast imaging, which includes training in all aspects of breast imaging and interventions. The program follows the guidelines of the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI). The goal for each fellow is to attain skills that will be utilized in the effort to decrease breast cancer morbidity and mortality.
During the 12-month clinical breast imaging fellowship, there is a broad exposure to breast imaging, including digital mammography (diagnostic and screening), digital breast tomosynthesis, breast ultrasound (diagnostic and screening techniques) and breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
The interventional service includes:
- Mammography and ultrasound guided preoperative localizations
- Preoperative sentinel node injections
- Core biopsies with stereotactic, tomosynthesis, ultrasound and MRI guidance
- Axillary node sampling with fine-needle aspiration and core techniques
- Ultrasound guided cyst aspiration, abscess and seroma drainage
Currently our breast imaging section is comprised of 7 locations:
- Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
- Johns Hopkins Imaging - Green Spring Station
- Johns Hopkins Imaging - White Marsh
- Johns Hopkins Imaging – Columbia
- Johns Hopkins Imaging - Bethesda
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
Our fellows rotate at the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center and Johns Hopkins Imaging – Greenspring, although visits to the other sites can be arranged.
We perform approximately 80,000 breast imaging studies each year. When combined with approximately 5,000 interventional procedures per year, there is ample volume available for the development of excellent subspecialty skills. There are multidisciplinary conferences held each week. Our fellows are expected to participate by attending and teaching at the weekly meetings.
How to Apply
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, have completed an ACGME-accredited diagnostic radiology residency program and be board certified or board eligible in diagnostic radiology at the onset of the fellowship.
2021-2022 Breast Imaging Fellowship Program
SBI will adhere to the 2021 Match timeline set forth by the Society of Chairs of Academic Radiology Departments, and along with SCARD encourages programs to hold solely virtual interviews due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The dates for the 2021 Radiology Fellowship Match for 2022 appointments are:
- August 1, 2020: Programs may accept applications
- November 1, 2020: Virtual Interview Period begins
- March 24, 2021: Match opens
- April 21, 2021: Ranking opens
- May 19, 2021: Quota change deadline
- June 2, 2021: Ranking closes
- June 16, 2021: Match Day
- July 1, 2022: Training begins
For additional information regarding the match refer to the Society for Breast Imaging website.
All verification requests must be in writing and include a signed release. Please send requests to:
Nita Hammond, Breast Imaging Fellowship Coordinator
The Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline Street
Baltimore, MD 21287