Director: Lisa Mullen, M.D.
Johns Hopkins offers a one-year fellowship in breast imaging, which includes training in all aspects of breast imaging and interventions. The program follows the guidelines set out by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI). The goal for each fellow is to attain skills, which will be utilized in the effort to decrease breast cancer morbidity and mortality.
There is a broad exposure to breast imaging, including digital mammography (diagnostic and screening), tomosynthesis, breast ultrasound and elastography (diagnostic and screening techniques) and breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). 3 Tesla (3T) and 1.5T magnets with a variety of protocols across our four sites provide a full range of exposure to MR technique.
The interventional service includes:
- Mammography and ultrasound guided preoperative needle localizations
- Core biopsies with stereotactic, ultrasound and MRI guidance
- Axillary node sampling with fine-needle aspiration and core techniques
Currently our breast imaging section is comprised of four locations:
- Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center (hospital-based)
- Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging - Green Spring Station
- Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging - White Marsh
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
The number of imaging studies conducted each year is approximately 35,000. When combined with the 2,000 interventional procedures, there is ample volume available for the development of excellent subspecialty skills. There are many multidisciplinary conferences held each week. Our fellow is expected to participate by attending and teaching at the weekly meetings.
How to Apply
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, have completed an ACGME-accredited diagnostic radiology residency program and be board certified or board eligible in diagnostic radiology at the onset of the fellowship.
2019-2020 Breast Imaging Fellowship Program
Please see below for the proposed date pattern for the match:
- Oct. 1, 2017: Begin accepting applications
- Jan. 31, 2018: Deadline for all application materials
- Feb.–Mar. 2018: Interviews
- Mar. 22, 2018: Registration opens
- Apr. 26, 2018: Ranking opens
- May 17, 2018: Quota change deadline
- May 31, 2018: Ranking closes
- Jun. 14, 2018: Match day
- Jul. 1, 2019: Fellowship training begins
For additional information regarding the match refer to the Society for Breast Imaging website.
All verification requests must be in writing and include a signed release. Please send requests to:
Nita Hammond, Breast Imaging Fellowship Coordinator
The Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline Street
Baltimore, MD 21287