The Johns Hopkins Pediatric Stroke and Neurovascular Center specializes in evaluation, diagnosis and comprehensive care for children with stroke and disorders of the blood vessels of the brain or spine. We offer a unique team approach by bringing together leading experts in neurology, neurosurgery, hematology, neuro-ophthalmology and diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology, to provide your child with the best possible care. Johns Hopkins offers a comprehensive continuum of care from the acute phase through recovery, partnering with the world-renowned Kennedy Krieger Institute for pediatric neurorehabilitation.
Request an Appointment
- For pediatric stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage, please call: 410-955-4259 and fax records to: 410-614-2297.
- If you suspect your child is having a stroke, please call 911.
- For aneurysms and vascular malformations, please call: 410-955-8525 and fax records to: 410-614-8238.
Pediatric Stroke and Neurovascular Experts
Our team includes a pediatric neurologist who is one of the few experts in the country with special training in childhood stroke and cerebrovascular disease as well as an interventional neuroradiologist, with particular expertise in pediatric and developmental vascular malformations of the brain and spine. Complex cases are presented to the pediatric neurovascular team to obtain group recommendations for a patient's treatment plan.
Conditions We Treat
Neurovascular disease encompasses a large group of disorders affecting the arteries in the brain, spine, or those connected to the brain and spine. These conditions are rare in children and their treatments often requires the expertise of multiple specialists, as well as the most advanced approaches. Our team evaluates, diagnoses and treats the full range of cerebrovascular diseases, including the most challenging and complex conditions.
- Brain aneurysms
- Arterial Dissection
- Arteriovenous Fistula (AVF)
- Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM)
- Cavernous Malformation
- Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage
- Moyamoya Disease
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Vein of Galen Malformations
How Our Team Can Help
Our experts offer comprehensive services to children with neurovascular disease:
A pediatric neurologist, one of the few in the country with special training in pediatric cerebrovascular disease and stroke, provides new patients with an initial comprehensive evaluation and coordinates diagnostic workups.
Advanced Diagnostic Tests
We offer the latest and most advanced tests to help diagnose conditions, including advanced neuro-imaging tests, with particular expertise in pediatric angiography in children. Pediatric anesthesiologists perform the sedation needed for pediatric imaging tests, enhancing the safety of the procedures.
Cerebrovascular and pediatric neurosurgeons offer state-of-the-art techniques, many of which are not available at other medical centers, for the treatment of cerebrovascular disease, such as microsurgery.
Hopkins interventional neuroradiology experts offer state-of-the art endovascular treatment of pediatric vascular malformations, such as Vein of Galen malformations. We also offer endovascular treatment for a variety of other pediatric cerebrovascular diseases.
In addition to caring for patients, our experts are at the forefront of research studying cerebrovascular disease in children, including:
- Pioneering research in brain monitoring after intracerebral hemorrhage and neurologic outcomes.
- New endovascular techniques for children with complex vascular malformations of the brain and spine.
- Hopkins investigators are members of the International Pediatric Stroke Study, a worldwide effort to expand knowledge regarding childhood stroke.