Led by Dr. Chetan Bettegowda and Dr. Jordina Rincon-Torroella, our lab uses genetic analysis, biomarkers and patient outcome data to identify better ways to diagnose and treat disease. We research a variety of neurological conditions, including central nervous system tumors, trigeminal neuralgia and traumatic brain and spinal injuries.
Liquid Biopsy to Track Cancer
Dr. Bettegowda discusses one area of focus for his lab: a liquid biopsy for cancer. This blood test could help screen asymptomatic people to find cancers before they are detectable through other means and help doctors monitor treatment responses.
News & Media
Cerebrospinal fluid may be able to identify aggressive brain tumors in children
Dr. Bettegowda discusses a recent publication in the journal Acta Neuropathologica Communications. "This study provides data for novel biomarkers to detect and track medulloblastoma, which are very much needed to enable improved patient outcomes," says Dr. Bettegowda.
Dr. Bettegowda Named One of Baltimore's 'Top Docs'
Baltimore magazine recognized Dr. Bettegowda as one of the region's top providers. This acknowledgement comes from a peer survey that asks physicians which doctor they would send a friend or family member to.
Dr. Bettegowda Receives Physician of The Year Recognition
Dr. Bettegowda received the William Baumgartner, M.D., Physician of the Year award. This award is given to the physician who consistently achieves high standards in the practice of medicine and is looked upon as a role model by his or her peers.
Johns Hopkins Medicine Researchers Awarded Nearly $8 Million from Break Through Cancer Foundation
Johns Hopkins was awarded more than $7.8 million for novel, multicenter research to find cures for several deadly cancers. As part of this project, Dr. Bettegowda and his team will focus on liquid biopsies to track glioblastoma treatment success.
Our lab is supported by several federal and private grants, including:
- MRgFUS-enabled Non-Invasive Interrogation of Malignant Glioma via Circulating Tumor
Source: DNA NINDS R21NS113016-01
- Tumor Derived DNA in Cerebrospinal Fluid as a Biomarker for Central Nervous System Malignancies
Source: NCI R37 CA230400-01
- Translational Molecular Profiling of Oligodendrogliomas
Source: Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award for Medical Scientists
- Biomarkers for Children With Brain Tumors
Source: Ian’s Friend’s Foundation
- PTRON – Primary Tumor Research and Outcome Network
- Alpha-1 Andrenergic Receptor Antagonism to Prevent COVID-19 Cytokine Storm Syndrome and Acute Respiratory Distress
Source: Progressive Learning Inc.
- Assessment of Safety and Feasibility of Exablate Type 2 Blood
- Quantitative Phase IIA Trial of Dichloroacetate for Glioblastoma Multiforme
Source: NIH/University of Florida R01 FD007271-01
- MTRON – Metastatic Tumor Research and Outcome Network