The Blaustein Pain Research and Education Endowment
This mission of the Blaustein Pain Research and Education Endowment is to advance pain care at Johns Hopkins Medicine by providing research and educational support to researchers throughout the institution. It is made possible through the Jacob and Hilda Blaustein Foundation and is administered through the Johns Hopkins Department of Neurosurgery.
The Research Grant Committee of the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Center’s director, James Campbell, M.D. Proposals are evaluated on their relevance to pain, scientific merit, feasibility, career development potential, synergy with overall pain program, history of productivity as predictor of success, originality, likelihood of research attaining external funding, and level of departmental support.
- View the Blaustein Pain Conference schedule.
- Learn about the Donlin M. Long award
- Apply for a grant from the Blaustein Pain Research Fund
In MemoriamDonlin Long, Master Neurosurgeon, Pain Treatment Pioneer, and First Head of Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Dept., Dies at 89
Highly regarded for his uncommon skill at performing virtually every kind of neurosurgical procedure, as well as for his enormous impact on pain reduction research and neurological studies, Long was widely considered to be one of the best surgeons of his generation.
Scientific Advisory Board
- Matthias Ringkamp, Neurosurgery, Chair
- James N. Campbell, Neurosurgery, Ex-officio
- Srinivasa Raja, Anesthesiology
- Stephen Wegener, Rehabilitation Medicine
- Michael Caterina, Biochemistry,
- Ahmet Hoke, Neurology
- Xinzhong Dong, Neuroscience
- Matthias Ringkamp, Neurosurgery
- Jennifer Haythornthwaite, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Claudia Campbell, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Board of Directors
- James N. Campbell, M.D., Professor Emeritus of Neurosurgery
- Henry Brem, M.D., Professor and Director, Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery
- Justin McArthur, MBBS, M.P.H., Professor and Director, Johns Hopkins Neurology, Pathology, and Epidemiology
- Marlis Gonzalez-Fernandez, M.D., Ph.D., Professor and Interim Director, Johns Hopkins Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Michael Caterina, M.D., Ph. D., Director of Neurosurgical Pain Research Institute
- James Ficke, M.D., Professor and Chairman, Johns Hopkins Orthopaedics
- Adam Sapirstein, M.D., Associate Professor, Interim Director, Anesthesiology
- James Potash, M.D., M.P.H., Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Science
- Thomas Smith, M.D., Professor and Director, Palliative Medicine