Our colorectal specialists at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center treat a variety of complex conditions, including inflammatory bowel disease, Hirschsprung's disease, anorectal malformations, chronic constipation, fecal incontinence and more.
Areas of Expertise
- Anorectal malformations (imperforate anus)
- Anal fissures
- Anal fistulas
- Bowel management
- Chronic constipation
- Cloacal exstrophy (with the Division of Pediatric Urology)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS)
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Complex reoperative care
A Multidisciplinary Approach
We work closely with specialists across the disciplines — including those in gastroenterology and nutrition, urology, orthopedics, radiology and psychology — in a multidisciplinary clinic to give your child the most comprehensive treatment possible. In addition, we offer upper laparoscopic and robotic-assisted surgery, a high degree of experience in reoperative care, chronic constipation and bowel management clinics, and a premier ERAS program. We treat patients with both acquired and congenital conditions.
Margie Birdsong, M.S.N., C.P.N.P.
Margie is a pediatric nurse practitioner specializing in the care of infants and children. Her areas of expertise include wound ostomy management and continence care, and she is actively involved in the Bowel Management program for children with continence issues.
Our Multidisciplinary Care Team
We work closely with specialists across the disciplines to give your child the most comprehensive treatment possible.
- Maria Oliva-Hemker, M.D., Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- John Gearhart, M.D. and Heather Di Carlo, M.D., Pediatric Urology
- Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Pediatric Radiology
- Bowel Management Clinic (in the David M. Rubenstein Child Health Building)
Request an Appointment
For referrals or appointments, contact our nurse practitioner, Margie Birdsong, M.S.N., C.P.N.P, at 410-614-4615.
Learn how we're keeping patients safe and about telemedicine options.