I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Neurointerventional Research Center
The mission of the Johns Hopkins Neurointerventional Research Center (NRC) is to broaden the understanding of diagnostic procedures and treatment options for conditions involving the brain, the head & neck region, and the spine & spinal cord through clinical, translational, and basic science research.
Our team conducts research on a wide variety of interventional neuroradiology topics and publishes results in numerous peer-reviewed publications. Knowledge gained through NRC investigations leads to earlier diagnosis of neurovascular conditions and safer, more effective therapies for patients.
Our areas of research focus include:
- Cerebral angiography
- Flat Panel Catheter Angiotomography (FPCA)
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy
- Neurovascular anatomy and variations
- Pseudotumor cerebri
- Spinal angiography
- Spine interventions
- Stroke treatment
Selected Recent Publications
- Orru, E., Sorte, D. E., Gregg L., Wolinsky, J. P., Jallo, G. I., Bydon, A., Tamargo, R. J., & Gailloud, P. (2017). Intraoperative spinal digital subtraction angiography: indications, technique, safety, and clinical impact. Journal of neurointerventional surgery, 9(6), 601-607.
- Hui, Ferdinand K., Amgad El Mekabaty, Jacky Schultz, Kelvin Hong, Karen Horton, Victor Urrutia, Imama Naqvi, Shawn Brast, John K. Lynch, and Zurab Nadareishvili. "Helistroke: neurointerventionalist helicopter transport for interventional stroke treatment: proof of concept and rationale." Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery (2017): neurintsurg-2017
- Qin, Huamin, Miroslaw Janowski, Monica S. Pearl, Izabela Malysz-Cymborska, Shen Li, Charles G. Eberhart, and Piotr Walczak. "Rabbit Model of Human Gliomas: Implications for Intra-Arterial Drug Delivery." PloS one 12, no. 1 (2017): e0169656.
- El Mekabaty, A., Pardo, C. A., & Gailloud, P. (2017). The yield of initial conventional MRI in 115 cases of angiographically confirmed spinal vascular malformations. Journal of neurology, 264(4), 733-739.
- Schneider, Tanja, Emily Wyse, and Monica S. Pearl. "Analysis of radiation doses incurred during diagnostic cerebral angiography after the implementation of dose reduction strategies." Journal of neurointerventional surgery 9, no. 4 (2017): 384-388.
- Gregg, L., Sorte, D. E., & Gailloud, P. (2017). Intraforaminal Location of Thoracolumbar Radicular Arteries Providing an Anterior Radiculomedullary Artery Using Flat Panel Catheter Angiotomography. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 38(5), 1054-1060.
- Hui, Ferdinand K., Nancy A. Obuchowski, Seby John, Gabor Toth, Irene Katzan, Dolora Wisco, Esteban Cheng-Ching, Ken Uchino, Shu-Mei Man, and Shazam Hussain. "ASPECTS discrepancies between CT and MR imaging: analysis and implications for triage protocols in acute ischemic stroke." Journal of neurointerventional surgery 9, no. 3 (2017): 240-243.
- Gailloud, P., Gregg, L., Pearl, M. S., & San Millan, D. (2017). Ascending and Descending Thoracic Vertebral Arteries. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 38(2), 327-335.
- Brinjikji, Waleed, Arun P. Amar, Josser E. Delgado Almandoz, Orlando Diaz, Pascal Jabbour, Ricardo Hanel, Ferdinand Hui et al. "GEL THE NEC: a prospective registry evaluating the safety, ease of use, and efficacy of the HydroSoft coil as a finishing device." Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery (2017): neurintsurg-2016.
- O'Loughlin, Lauren, Mari L. Groves, Neil R. Miller, and Monica S. Pearl. "Cerebrofacial arteriovenous metameric syndrome (CAMS): a spectrum disorder of craniofacial vascular malformations." Child's nervous system: ChNS: official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery 33, no. 3 (2017): 513-516.