I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
JHM IRB Forms
Forms, Tools, and Templates Related to the Revised Common Rule (required for all NEW studies submitted after January 21, 2019)
For a list of all guidelines, policies, forms, tools, and templates related to the Revised Common Rule click HERE.
All new research applications, including exempt applications, must be submitted to the JHM IRB for review through eIRB. eIRB is an informatics tool that supports electronic, on-line submission of applications to the Johns Hopkins Medicine IRBs.
- JHM IRB eFormA-Protocol - For eIRB studies ONLY
- JHM IRB eFormB This form may ONLY be used for projects originally approved prior to January 21, 2019 which qualified as a retrospective chart review. eFormBs may no longer be used for any new application type. New applications submitted with an eFormB will be returned and the application will not be processed until the correct forms are submitted Instead, please submit the eForm S: see description below.
- JHM IRB eFormE This form should be used for projects thought to qualify for exemption. This may include, interviews, surveys, public observations, educational tests, research conducted in normal educational settings or some behavioral interventions, if the intervention is considered to be benign. The only exception is secondary research activities. While some secondary research activities may qualify for exemption, for these projects, the eForm S should be used.
JHM IRB eFormQ This form should be used for projects thought to qualify as quality improvement projects.
[Please note: Investigators may also use the following tool for assistance with determining whether a project is research or quality improvement, however the IRB will make the final determination: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/institutional_review_board/forms/QI_determination_worksheet.docx ]
JHM IRB eFormR eFormRs (used for research resource protocols) are required for all protocols designed to cover the creation or set-up of a research resource as of 01/03/2019. Common examples of research resources are a data or biospecimen repository and a recruitment database. Generally the purpose of a research resource is to help support current and future research rather than to answer any discrete research questions. If you intend to create a research resource, a separate IRB application is required for creation of the resource itself. Use this form to describe the resource you are creating, how it will be managed and how it will be accessed for future research use. eFormAs or eFormBs will no longer be acceptable for protocols designed to create a research resource.
JHM IRB eFormS This form should be used for secondary research using identifiable private information and/or identifiable biospecimens. Data or samples are not required to be in existence at the time of the submission to the IRB in order to use this form. Projects involving secondary research of identifiable private information and/or identifiable biospecimens may qualify for exemption or may require expedited review. The IRB will make this determination as part of the review process. In certain cases, the identifiability of the data/biospecimens may be unclear, or may have had identifiers removed. However, this form should be used to describe all secondary research projects.
- eProgress Report - eIRB Continuing Review Progress Report
- Combined Informed Consent/Authorization Template NOTE: Continuing reviews do not require submission of consent form(s) and do not require the transfer of the approved consent form(s) to the Version 15 Informed Consent Template. For more information on the changes in Version 15...
- Combined Parental Informed Consent/Authorization Template Use when ALL study participants are under 18 years of age and parent(s)/guardian(s) consent is required
- Compassionate/Emergency Use Informed Consent/Authorization
- Consent for Continued Participation in a Research Study By a Participant Who has Reached Age 18
- Documentation of Physician Consent
- Johns Hopkins CIRB Pediatric Consent Form Template
- Johns Hopkins CIRB Adult Consent Form Template
- Genomic Data Sharing/Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS) Consent Language
- Humanitarian Use Device (HUD) Consent/Authorization Template NOTE: This form is designed to serve as an informed consent template for off-label clinical uses of HUDs (i.e. in a manner inconsistent with their FDA-approved indications as detailed in Humanitarian Device Exemption (HDE) issuance documentation). Consent for uses of HUDs for their FDA-approved indications should be obtained using a clinical consent form, which does not need to be submitted to or approved by the IRB.
- Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Research consent form template
- Sample Research Assent Form for Children (.rtf version)
- Oral Consent Form Script
- Oral Assent Form Script
- Telephone Screening Script
- Short Form Consent for participants who do not speak English
- Johns Hopkins/King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital Informed Consent Template
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Consent (Not available; use either the JHM IRB consent or available from NIDA)
- Singapore HIPAA - Combined Informed Consent/Authorization (Use the template provided by the local Singapore site)
Problem/Event Report Form
- RF3 - Event Report Summary Sheet
Attach to the Continuing Review Application to summarize anticipated problems/events or Submit if sponsor requires adverse event reporting that does not meet JHM IRB requirements
- RF4 - Protocol Deviation Summary Sheet
(Attach to the Continuing Review application to summarize administrative and minor departures from protocol.)
- External IRB Submission Checklist – Investigators
- Addition of Relying Site Process and Workflow
- FWA Information Sheet
- JHM Consent Language
- Statement of PI Responsibilities when Relying on an External IRB
- Sample Local Context Application
- Relying Sites List
- Biosafety Registration Form -
- Biosafety Registration Form -
- Biospecimen Transfer Information Sheet
- Checklist for Submission of CIRB documents to JHM IRB
- Certification for Translation
- GWAS/Genomic Data Sharing Form
- HIV+ to HIV+ Transplant Under the HOPE Act Checklist for Investigators and IRB Review
- Investigational Drug Data Sheet (DDS) Please note that a separate IDDS must now be submitted for each site (HCGH, Sibley Memorial, Suburban, JHBMC) at which the IND will be dispensed.
- Investigational New Drug Application
- JHHC Data Request Application
- JHHS - Request for Approval of Nursing Research
- JHH Imaging Form - Radiology Research Policy Document
- Radiology Research Agreement
- Maternal Fetal Research Committee Form
- Protection of Human Subjects Assurance Identification/IRB Certification/Declaration of Exemption-(Optional Form 310)
- JHCP Quality Improvement Data Collection Form
- Quality Improvement (QI) Determination Worksheet
- Radiation Form and Worksheets (RCU 5) Form (pdf)
- Radiation Dosimetry Tables
- Recruitment Ad Template
- Research Ethics Educational Activity Application
- Research Faculty Resignation Questionnaire
- Maryland Advanced Research Computing Center (MARCC) Statement of Responsibilities