Howard County General Hospital offers several scholarships for those interested in advancing their careers in nursing, such as (but not limited to):
- CNA to PCT
- PCT to RN
- RN to BSN
- BSN to MSN
Scholarships are available to employees or their dependents, as specified below.
Scholarships are awarded by semester. Applications must be submitted by July 15 to be considered for a fall semester award and by December 15 to be considered for a spring semester award.
Recipients of scholarships must commit to work a minimum number of hours per pay period (varies by scholarship) for one year of service for each year of scholarship monies received.
HCGH employees in the disciplinary process with a written warning or greater within the past 12 months are not eligible for scholarships.
- Applicant must be an employee of HCGH or child/dependent of an HCGH employee
- Applicant must be currently enrolled in the last 2 clinical years of a Nursing Education program at Howard Community College leading to qualification to take the NCLEX exam for licensure as a RN
- HCGH employees within the Department of Nursing who are interested in pursuing a BSN or MSN at an accredited university in the state of Maryland
- Applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater
- Scholarship recipients will sign an agreement with HCGH to work a minimum of 72 hours per pay period for one year of service for each year of monies received
- Award: $3,500 a year for a maximum of two years
- Applicant must be a HCGH employee
- Award: up to approximately $5,000 per year
The Howard Hospital Foundation funds additional scholarships to Howard Community College students for community members. Requirements and benefits vary. Apply directly through HCC here. Look for Knott, Rose Mayr and June Schwab Scholarships.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application.
- Ask a colleague or supervisor (must be a direct supervisor if you have been employed at HCGH for less than one year) to send a letter of recommendation to Maureen Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Both application and recommendation must be submitted by July 15 to be considered for a fall semester award and by December 15 to be considered for a spring semester award.
- Questions? Contact Maureen Harris at email@example.com or 410-740-7570.
Nursing Scholarship FAQs
Who is eligible to receive nursing scholarships?
HCGH staff and their dependents are eligible. Staff must be in good standing and must have been employed at HCGH for at least one year.
I’m receiving tuition reimbursement; can I receive a scholarship too?
Yes! The scholarship is intended to help cover the difference between the tuition reimbursement and the student’s total cost.
Is the scholarship for a semester or a year?
The scholarship is for a semester.
If I receive a scholarship once, may I apply again?
Is this only for people who are already RNs or are part of the Nursing Division?
No! Scholarships are available for individuals at all levels of the nursing journey: PCTs or CNAs who are working on their RN; RNs who are working on their BSN; those working on their MSN or CRNP; and so on. Even an individual who works in an entirely different division at HCGH, such as Materials Management or Environmental Services, but is in nursing school, is eligible.
What are my next steps?
Complete the online application. Ask a colleague or supervisor to send a letter of recommendation to Maureen Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure your application and recommendation are both submitted by July 15 to be considered for a fall semester award and by December 15 to be considered for a spring semester award.
Contact Maureen Harris at email@example.com or 410-740-7570.