I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Nursing Assistant PCT Training Program
Join us in our paid training opportunity and advance your career!
About the Position
This is a position for Certified Nursing Assistants who are interested in taking their career to the next level as a PCT. You will begin by working as a full-time nursing assistant at the hospital, then learning PCT skills, and finally advancing to a full-time PCT position at HCGH. CNA's accepted into the program will learn PCT skills such as phlebotomy, IV initiation, 12-lead EKG and Foley catheter insertion after successful completion of a minimum 90-day review period.
Nursing assistants follow the same probationary period requirements as new employees. Once they are here for 6 months, they qualify for tuition reimbursement and can choose to attend an approved PCT course. Reimbursement for the course will be provided after successful completion. After successful completion of the course and a tenure of 7 months, the nursing assistant in good standing is eligible for transfer into a PCT position.
Positions for float CNA/PCT are posted on the hospital website when available.
- Nursing Assistant Duties: Employees gain hospital nursing assistant experience in the float pool before beginning training as a PCT. As a nursing assistant, job duties include primarily providing 1:1 care to patients who are high risk for falls or are considered suicidal. During times in which no patient requires 1:1 care, nursing assistants provide certified nursing assistant skills to a group of patients. The nursing assistant receives training on remote close observation. They monitor up to 10 patients remotely.
- Classroom Training: Part-time classroom training in advanced patient care skills will be provided at an approved community college. Many courses follow a hybrid model, whereby the student completes an on-line curriculum and attends the school weekly for skills sign-offs and testing. During this five-week hybrid course, participants continue to work as nursing assistants at HCGH with the full-time work/class schedule coordinated by the manager.
- Promotion to PCT: After successful completion of the PCT course, CNAs apply for available full-time (72 hours per pay period) PCT positions at the hospital and must pass the HCGH PCT test and interview. Approximately four weeks of PCT orientation and on-site clinical training follows.
- Employment Agreement: Employees agree to work as a full-time (72 hours every two weeks) PCT for a minimum of one year.
- H.S. diploma or GED
- Current Maryland Certified Nursing Assistant license
- Acute care nursing assistant experience strongly preferred