Body Image in Teens
Understanding Our Bodies
Adolescence is a time to develop healthy body image. Our thoughts and feelings about our physical appearance begin to develop in childhood but become much more relevant during teen years:
- Teens’ minds and bodies undergo many changes very quickly. Along the way, teens are developing their sense of self-identity and how they see themselves in the world.
- Teens begin to have stronger values and opinions and to see themselves differently.
The Influence of Others
Teens often develop closer relationships with friends and romantic partners, which can affect how they see themselves. If the people in those relationships focus too much on appearance and weight, this can cause negative body image.
Teens often see and compare their appearance to the unrealistic images of celebrities on TV and the internet, which can make it difficult to have a positive, healthy body image.
Tips For Improving Body Image
- Appreciate what your body can DO rather than focusing on how your body LOOKS!
- Don’t let your weight or shape keep you from doing things that you enjoy!
- Celebrate your qualities of having great character — being kind and genuine.
- When you look in the mirror, focus on what you LIKE about yourself.
- Make the choice to have a healthy lifestyle to keep your body healthy and to feel good.