Pancreas, Liver, Gallbladder and Bile Duct Surgery at Johns Hopkins Medicine
If you have been diagnosed with diseases of the pancreas, liver, gallbladder or bile duct, you need expert care and access to the full range of surgical options and therapies. Our surgeons specialize in minimally invasive procedures and other treatments for every stage of disease, from early to advanced.
Conditions We Treat
Our surgeons address conditions including:
- Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
- Gallbladder cancer
- Liver cancer and benign liver tumors
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatic cysts
Advanced Surgical Treatments
Our experienced surgeons are leaders in pancreas and liver surgery and specialize in minimally invasive surgery options to provide optimal care.
- Auto Islet Transplant Surgery: This procedure is used to treat chronic pancreatitis, which usually requires a total pancreatectomy. In many cases, patients who are candidates for auto islet transplant surgery are also candidates for a minimally invasive approach.
- Distal and Total Pancreatectomy: This is the removal of the body and tail of the pancreas. A total pancreatectomy is removal of the entire pancreas.
- Hepatic Artery Infusion Pump: This small implanted device is connected to the hepatic artery. Implantation of the pump allows us to give patients a significantly higher dose of chemotherapy that reaches only the liver metastases.
- Minimally Invasive Liver Surgery: We offer two options for minimally invasive liver surgery: total laparoscopic liver resection and total robotic liver resection. The type of liver surgery performed is based on a variety of factors, such as the biology, size and location of lesions in the liver and whether the patient qualifies as a candidate.
- Whipple Procedure: This operation removes tumors on the top of the pancreas, the lower portion of the bile duct and the ampulla of Vater. Also known as pancreaticoduodenectomy, the procedure can be performed robotically or laparoscopically.
Why choose Johns Hopkins for treatment?
We have one of the highest surgical volumes of hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery in the nation, and our experienced surgeons are leaders in pancreas and liver surgery. We also offer second opinions for both liver and pancreatic cancer.
Minimally Invasive Options
Our surgeons specialize in diagnosing and treating liver and pancreatic cancer with a range of minimally invasive and robotic surgery approaches. And you will not have to wait — we can schedule patients within 24 to 48 hours after record review.
We use the latest therapies to treat metastatic and advanced cancers for patients who are not surgical candidates. Our team focuses on what matters most to you and regarding your quality of life.
Meet Our Surgeons
Our surgeons are among the nation’s best, and they perform liver, bile duct, gallbladder and pancreatic surgeries, including Whipple procedures, each year.
Our Care Locations
National Capital Region
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Sibley Medical Office Building, Suite 150
5215 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
8600 Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map