Our mission is to promote diversity and inclusion within the Johns Hopkins Gynecology and Obstetrics Residency Program by increasing recruitment from groups under-represented in medicine, fostering an inclusive culture and learning environment for all trainees, and combating systemic racism that affects medical education and causes health care disparities for patients.
Johns Hopkins Physicians Stand With You
The Johns Hopkins House Staff Diversity Council united the Hopkins community to stand in solidarity with the Black community against systemic inequity and police brutality. They encourage other institutions to take a stand as well.
White Coats for Black Lives
White Coats for Black Lives demonstrate solidarity against racism and inequity, staff members from throughout the Johns Hopkins Medicine community joined the White Coats for Black Lives observance to honor George Floyd and other victims of police brutality.
Social Justice Task Force
The Johns Hopkins GYNOB Social Justice Task Force has representation from faculty and residents. Initiatives taken on from this task force include:
- Increasing educational content (departmental level and during resident didactics) to combat implicit bias, systemic racism, and health care disparities.
- Creating clinical outcomes dashboards in EPIC to study health care disparities in our patients by race/ethnicity.
- Increasing the recruitment of groups underrepresented in medicine to our training programs.
- Creating and maintaining a culture that is inclusive for all trainees, staff and patients -- including groups underrepresented in medicine.
- Appointing an Equity Chief Resident, who is responsible for:
- Working with the education chief residents to ensure DEI content is included in our resident educational curriculum.
- Serving as a liaison between residents and program/departmental leadership to promote DEI initiatives and to address DEI concerns.
- Working with the community service chief to coordinate community engagement projects that helps elevate our under-represented community.