Severely ill patients commonly experience impairments in physical function, mental health and cognition, which is collectively termed “post-hospital syndrome,” or “post-intensive care syndrome” (PICS) in the case of ICU survivors. Further, there are a growing number of COVID-19 survivors who were not hospitalized but have persistent symptoms, including shortness of breath, fatigue, headaches, palpitations and impairments in mental health and cognition. We recognize the need for a team approach to support the extraordinary number of COVID-19 survivors while driving care forward with comprehensive and standardized assessments, evidence-based approaches and the very best in patient-centered care.
The Johns Hopkins Post-Acute COVID-19 Team (JH PACT) Program is a collaboration between the Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine and the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Our goal is to provide interdisciplinary, standardized care to address the unique needs of COVID-19 survivors.
JH PACT consists of two core service lines that work in tandem to provide comprehensive care.
Our pulmonary and rehabilitation physicians conduct appointments via telemedicine or on campus.
Our rehabilitation therapy services include physical, occupational, speech-language therapy and neuropsychology.
As needed, our physicians may refer patients to other specialists to support recovery.
Resources for COVID-19 Survivors
- Johns Hopkins Outcomes After Critical Illness and Surgery (OACIS) research group: This site contains information and videos for patients, families, clinicians and researchers looking to learn more about recovering from a critical illness such as COVID-19.
- Education on post-intensive care syndrome: This handout from the American Thoracic Society provides an overview of (PICS).
- Pediatric Post-COVID-19 Rehabilitation Clinic: A clinic at Kennedy Krieger Institute for children and adolescents who have recovered from COVID-19 but need additional support to regain lost neurological and physical functioning as a result of the illness.
- Caring for Patients with COVID-19 and Post-Intensive Care Syndrome: This article lists some of the effects of severe COVID-19 and explains how we treat these symptoms at Johns Hopkins.
- Centro SOL: Spanish language resources for COVID-19 survivors. Centro SOL also hosts a weekly virtual support group.
JH PACT in the News
- ‘A wake up call’: experts release new guidance on cardiovascular symptoms of long COVID
- How Long COVID Could Change the Way We Think About Disability
- For Patients with Long COVID, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome May Offer a Guiding Star
- In It For The Long Haul
- How Long-haul COVID Is Affecting Families Mentally and Emotionally
- EXPLAINER: What You Should Know About "Long Haul" COVID-19
- As the Pandemic in the US Slows, the Fight Against 'Long Haul' COVID Is On
- COVID Long-haulers: What We Know About the Debilitating Symptoms that Last for Months
- 'Long COVID' Impacting Patients Who Never Tested Positive for the Coronavirus
- Some COVID-19 Long Haulers Have Had Symptoms Since the First Wave. Can They Still Get Better?
- Maryland Man Battling 'Long COVID' for 11 Months
- ‘Dynasty’ Reunites To Fight Against Long COVID
- COVID-19 'Long-Haulers' Spark Area Health Care Movement to Create New Coronavirus Recovery Programs, Clinics
- Most Common COVID-19 Symptoms That Won't Go Away
- Physician Group Releases Guidance on Cardiovascular Issues in Long COVID
- The Long Haul
- COVID-19 Spreads As People Pass It Along to Someone They Live With
- Johns Hopkins Medicine Is Trying to Help COVID-19 Patients with Long-Term Symptoms
- Will Some COVID-19 Survivors Require a Lung Transplant to Fully Recover?
- Doctors: Most COVID-19 Patients Recover at Home
- Coronavirus Latest: Johns Hopkins Creates Team to Help COVID-19 Patients Deal with Psychological Effects of Virus
- Epic-Integrated Telehealth at Johns Hopkins Boosts Quality and Safety During Pandemic
- Johns Hopkins Doctor Talks Creative Approach Used to Assist Patients in COVID-19 Recovery
- Patients Treated for COVID-19 Now Coping with ‘Long COVID’
- As COVID-19 Cases Surpass Records, Cautions Against Holiday Gatherings
- Podcast: In It for the Long-Haulers—Investigating ‘Long COVID’