Johns Hopkins Medicine is offering a third COVID-19 vaccine dose to individuals who received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines and have a qualifying medical condition, based on guidance from the FDA and CDC.
The FDA and CDC continue to evaluate data regarding the need for additional doses for other populations. At this time, Johns Hopkins Medicine is not offering COVID-19 booster appointments to patients unless they are immunosuppressed.
Qualifying Medical Conditions
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommend that people receive a third COVID-19 vaccine dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines if they:
- Receive active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood.
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last two years, or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Were diagnosed with DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome.
- Are diagnosed with HIV and have a high viral load or low CD4 count, or are not currently taking medication to treat HIV. If you have HIV but are not sure if you fit into this category, please contact your provider for further guidance.
- Are taking drugs like high-dose steroids or other medications that may cause severe suppression of the immune system. If you are not sure if your medications severely suppress the immune system, please contact your provider for further guidance.
Based on FDA and CDC guidelines, individuals with a qualifying condition who received the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine are not eligible to receive an additional dose of any COVID-19 vaccine, at this time.
Schedule a COVID-19 Vaccine Third Dose (for Eligible Individuals Only)
Individuals with a qualifying medical condition who received initial doses of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines may receive a third dose at least 28 days after their second dose. The CDC recommends that individuals receive a third dose from the same brand vaccine that they received previously.
Schedule Third Dose by Phone
Call 443-997-1875, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.–5 p.m.
Please note: Before you are scheduled, you will be asked questions to verify your initial vaccination doses and your qualifying medical condition.
Schedule Third Dose Online, Using MyChart
- Log into MyChart.
- Select “Visits” from the top left navigation bar, then click on “Schedule an Appointment.”
- Find the section titled “Tell us why you’re coming in.” Select “COVID-19 Vaccine — -3rd Dose.”
- Answer questions to confirm your initial vaccination doses and qualifying medical condition.
- Follow the prompts to select your vaccination location, date and time.
If you do not see any available appointments, please check again in the coming days. We will update MyChart as vaccine supply is made available.