What Is CareLink?
Johns Hopkins Medicine CareLink is a web-based application for connecting JHM member organizations to community practices. Through Johns Hopkins Medicine CareLink, community users can gain secure access to select patient information in the Johns Hopkins Medicine electronic medical record (EMR) data repository and improve the continuity of care. This continuity provides many benefits for our patients, including the following:
- Provides a more transparent flow of information between physicians.
- Makes it easier for external physicians to place referrals and orders to JHM.
- Connects clinicians at JHM with specialists using e-visits, providing care to a broader group of patients.
- Lets JHM send releases of information electronically to community clinics.
- Gives your community clinics access to review patients’ charts for coding and following up on claims.
- Allows for coordination of social services outside of JHM.
Johns Hopkins Medicine CareLink is not an EMR solution; it is a mostly read-only application with a few service-oriented features, such as procedure order entry and co-signing home health orders.
JHM CareLink users and users on JHM Epic can use In Basket to communicate securely about patient care. If a message remains unopened for one day, the JHM CareLink user will receive an email reminder via a personal or professional email account, if that address was provided.
JHM CareLink users can use In Basket to perform the following actions:
- Send and receive message about patient care and billing needs.
- Directly link messages to patients’ accounts, charts, lab results and orders.
- Complete tasks related to a message by clicking context-specific buttons on the toolbar.
JHM CareLink physicians primarily use EpicCare Link to view patient medical record and documentation completed after they have referred a patient to any of the JHM member organizations. JHM CareLink physicians can also submit referrals to JHM through EpicCare Link.
JHM CareLink permits users to enter procedure orders for laboratory studies and allows referring providers to place orders for radiology exams, as well as view images and reports.
JHM CareLink physicians are able to electronically sign home health orders placed by JHM clinicians.
JHM CareLink physicians can schedule a video visit with a physician at any of the JHM member organizations for designated skilled nursing facilities.
JHM has enabled the document upload feature within JHM CareLink to allow community users to upload designated file types into the patient’s chart, such as EKGs, progress notes or digital images. This functionality does not allow end users from affiliate providers to have access to add these features directly to the chart, but instead allows the documents to be sent as attachments to JHM Epic Hyperspace end users. Upon receiving the documents electronically, JHM Epic Hyperspace end users may add them to the EMR.
Independent practices and clinical users are not the only users requesting information from JHM member organizations. There are many institutions such as payers, legal agencies, government agencies and research organizations that regularly request information from the JHM Health Information Management (HIM) Department. JHM CareLink integrates with Epic's HIM release of information application to allow for a paperless release of standard return on investment reports to high-volume requesters.
Study monitors can log in to JHM CareLink to view clinical information for designated patients. The CRMS study number is required to provide appropriate access to monitors.