Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Finding Reliable Health Information Online
Overwhelmed by the amount of health information on the Internet? Not sure if certain sites are trustworthy?
Follow these quick tips for "healthy" Internet searching:
- Don't search the entire Internet. Start with the Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library or MedlinePlus.gov.
- Evaluate commercial ("dot com") sites carefully for bias and conflict of interest.
- Check to see if the information is current (less than three years old).
- Look for the credentials of the author (i.e. doctor, nurse, psychologist) to make sure the information is written by a health professional.
Want to learn more?
- The Community Health Library has a series of presentations on how to evaluate health Web sites and suggested sources of quality health information:
- Use this tutorial about evaluating online health information from the National Library of Medicine
Additional sources for high-quality health websites:
- Reliable Health Information on the Internet*
- Reliable Health Information on the Internet: Cancer Supplement*
- Reliable Health Information on the Internet: Caregiving Supplement *
- Reliable Health Information on the Internet: Heart Health Supplement *
Contact the Community Health Library staff with questions about finding reliable health information or request a search by a librarian.
*For best results when printing these brochures, make use of the “booklet” setting under “duplex” if that is available to you on your printer. If you use the duplex option, we also recommend that, for “Page Scaling,” you select “ Fit to Printable Area.”
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.