Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins Bayview’s hospitalist service began in 1996 as a weekday-only chest pain service with one physician and two mid-level providers. By 2000 the service had grown to four physicians and multiple mid-level providers, and was caring for patients with all types of medical conditions. The title “Collaborative Inpatient Medicine Service” was chosen that year to reflect the group’s multi-disciplinary makeup.
There are now more than 30 clinical members of CIMS, and two or more CIMS providers are present in the hospital 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, caring for approximately 60 percent of the general medicine inpatients at Bayview. Some of the clinical services provided are:
- attending on the housestaff ward teams for a total of six months throughout the year;
- providing direct patient care for service and community physician-covered patients;
- running and staffing the medical consult service;
- performing TPN consults;
- triaging for the Medicine Service; and,
- co-managing bed status with the Departments of Nursing and Emergency Medicine.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.