Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The ventilator unit is designed to decrease or eliminate the need for mechanical ventilation for medically stable but complex patients requiring prolonged mechanical ventilator support and frequent physician intervention.
- Must be 18 years and older
- Require mechanical ventilator support
- Have a tracheostomy
- Pulmonary consultation to include assessment for active weaning
Our program provides:
- Weekly multidisciplinary rounds
- Ongoing evaluation of ventilator weaning process
- Specialty treatments can include:
- Rehabilitation: respiratory, physical, occupational and speech-language therapy
- Wound care
- Individualized medical management
- Cardiopulmonary management
- Complex bowel and bladder management
- Enteral or parenteral feeding for nutritional assistance
We treat a wide range of conditions, such as:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Myasthenia gravis
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Other respiratory conditions
- Neurologic conditions
- Medically complex conditions
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.