I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Cardiac rehabilitation is a program that combines exercise and education designed to help you change your life in a healthy way. It's useful for patients with:
- Heart attack or myocardial infarction (MI)
- Balloon angioplasty or stent
- Valve replacement surgery
- Coronary bypass surgery
- Congestive heart failure
- Heart transplant
- Peripheral vascular disease
Cardiac rehab includes:
- An individualized exercise program customized for each individual patient
- Education on heart disease, risk factors and lifestyle modification
- A nutrition consultation with a dietitian and weekly nutrition classes
- Social support from staff to help you adjust to heart disease and help manage your stress
What Can I Expect During Cardiac Rehab?
Each patient has an initial evaluation with an exercise physiologist, who designs an individualized exercise program. Each program is customized depending on the unique cardiovascular needs of each patient.
Once a personalized program has been designed, exercise sessions are scheduled for three times a week. During each session, the patient's blood pressure, weight and ECG are monitored. Blood glucose levels will also are monitored for those diagnosed with diabetes. Rehab therapists provide routine feedback regarding the patient's progres to his or her physician.
Benefits of Participating in Cardiac Rehab
Cardiac rehab can help:
- Improve blood pressure
- Improve blood glucose and assist with diabetes management
- Increase strength to return to daily activities or work
- Decrease levels of stress and anxiety
- Manage symptoms of chest pain/pressure and shortness of breath
The process of quitting smoking or losing weight / gaining muscle mass
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 410-550-0860.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.