Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Heart Check-Up Quiz
Did you know that heart disease remains the number-one killer nationwide? To help prevent heart disease or catch symptoms early, studies show that adults ages 50 and older should have a cardiovascular assessment—even younger if you have a family history of heart disease. Is it time for your Heart Check-Up? Take the quiz!
How healthy is your heart?
1. Are you:
- Male and over age 35?
- Female and over age 45?
AND have any of the following risk factors:
- Smoke or recently stopped smoking?
- Have high LDL “bad” cholesterol?
- Have high blood pressure?
- Are overweight?
- Have a family history of heart disease (father/brother with heart disease before age 55 or mother/sister with heart disease before age 65)?
- Have parents or siblings with diabetes?
- Have diabetes or were told by your doctor that you are at risk for diabetes?
2. Are you:
- Male and over age 45?
- Female and over age 55?
AND have any of the classic symptoms:
- Shortness of breath after routine walking or while resting?
- Chest pain, discomfort or pressure?
- Palpitations (fast or irregular heart beat, fluttering or skipped beats)?
- Lightheadedness or fainting?
- Swelling or puffiness in the ankles, legs or abdomen?
- Bluish change in skin color?
The more you answered YES above, the greater your risk for heart disease.
If you haven’t had a Heart Check-Up, schedule one now with your family doctor or with a Johns Hopkins Bayview heart expert. To make an appointment, call Johns Hopkins Bayview cardiology at 443-997-0274.
The check-up includes a general physical exam, screenings and a thorough review of genetic and lifestyle risks. Our specialists can assess your heart health, discuss your risk factors and consult with you about heart attack warning signs and what to do if you have symptoms. We also are prepared to diagnose and treat all cardiac conditions.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.