Camp Superkids is a week-long residential summer camp for children with asthma, ages seven-and-a-half to twelve.
In 2014, Camp Superkids will be held July 13-18 at Summit Grove Camp, located in New Freedom, Pennsylvania, just over the Maryland border off Interstate 83.
While attending this summer camp, children will:
- Enjoy a full range of traditional camp activities, such as swimming, arts & crafts, archery, Zumba, outdoor team-building skills and more.
- Learn how to manage their asthma, thereby decreasing the number and duration of asthma episodes; increasing confidence in their ability to manage asthma; providing the children with knowledge to make independent and positive health choices; improving the children’s school performance; and increasing self-esteem.
- Gain a strong support system of friends with asthma and positive reinforcement from adults who volunteer their valuable time and services.
- Be attended to by registered nurses, a physician assistant, respiratory therapists and other non-medical personnel who are on-site the entire week.
To apply, download the application form here. The cost is $400. Scholarships are available for those who qualify. A $75 registration fee is due with the application. This registration fee is deducted from the balance of your camp fee.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or contact Heather Dougherty, camp administrator, at 717-578-0465, or Ceal Curry, child life program coordinator at JHBMC, at 410-550-0374.
Camp Superkids 2012 A Success!
Camp Superkids held their annual summer camp for children with asthma at Summit Grove from July 15-20, 2012. This is a unique, residential summer camp for children with asthma that offers them the opportunity to interact with other children with asthma, learn more about themselves, form new friendships and have a traditional summer camp experience. Campers took part in daily activities that included asthma education, arts and crafts, swimming, touching and holding giant snakes and turtles, composing songs to perform and much more. Some comments from the campers included:
- "This was a wonderful camp and I loved all the activities."
- "I wish camp would be longer than one week."
- "I liked learning more about my asthma and knowing that I can do sports."
All Camp Superkids counselors are volunteers that dedicate their time to spend a week with children to provide them with a safe, fun and educational camp experience. They come from various backgrounds and include registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physician's assistants, child life specialists, United States Marines, college and high school students, and more.
We are grateful to all of our sponsors for helping us make this year's camp a resourceful and enriching experience for everyone. Thank you!
If you are interested in learning more about Camp Superkids, as a donor/sponsor, volunteer or a parent, please contact Heather Dougherty, Camp Superkids administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.