Nursing Student Clinical Placement Requests & Instructions
All requests for clinical placement (etc.) will be solely informed through this portal and Castle Branches. The use of CB Bridges software is required for clinical placement at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
For more information about CB Bridges, please contact ClinicalPartners@castlebranch.com. Deadlines for each semester's requests and notices about date deadlines are publicly posted here; please note extensions cannot be automatically granted. Any questions not answered in the information below can be submitted to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu email and will be answered within five (5) business days.
All clinical requests for group placement must be entered thru CB Bridges. All facilities with graduate and/or undergraduate and/or allied health professional program(s) MUST utilize CB Bridges for clinical placement.
Please complete and submit Appendix "D" annually for each instructor. This is a required document on CB Bridges.
- Clinical Coordinator - GROUP - request for site placement at Sibley Memorial Hospital for groups of Undergraduate Nursing students [Six (6) is the maximum number of students per group].
- Instructions for Clinical Faculty (under the direction of Clinical coordinator).
- Clinical Coordinator or INDIVIDUAL student request for practicum placement at Sibley Memorial Hospital for practicum (1:1).
- Current Sibley (Nursing) employee INDIVIDUAL request Appendix PP (please email Appendix PP form to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu; along with any other scanned information regarding practicum requests) and see information at above link (Ex. Capstone course in RN to BSN program).
- Q&A (Instructions for MOU, Parking, Dress code, flu vaccinations, etc.).
Clinical faculty can be oriented on the following dates in 2018. These dates are the sole times that orientation can be provided.
Time: 0730 - 1400
Location: Sibley Memorial Hospital - Education and Training Classroom - Building B
- December 13, 2018
- January 17, 2019
- February 14, 2019
- March 14, 2019
- April 11, 2019
- May 16, 2019
- June 13, 2019
- July 18, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- September 19, 2019
- October 17, 2019
- November 14, 2019
- December 12, 2019
Dates for CB Bridges clinical request
- Fall requests: March 15 – April 25
- Spring requests: October 15 – November 25
- Summer requests: March 15 – April 25
- All clinical requests for group placement must be entered thru CB Bridges. All facilities with graduate and / or undergraduate and/or allied health professional program(s) MUST utilize CB Bridges for clinical placement.
- First, you must be sure that your facility has a current
- Affiliation agreement
- Certificate of Insurance
- See Q&A
- Communicate with students and faculty about the requirements of Sibley Memorial Hospital (Johns Hopkins Hospital).
- Inform your faculty and students know who is responsible for gathering/completing student requirements to minimize confusion and repeat workload.
- Please use Appendix “A” Nursing School Requirements as a guideline or checklist for each group or individual student(s) (and clinical faculty) to ensure all requirements are complete. This form does not need to be submitted.
- Please use Appendix “B” Regulatory/Certification letter indicating clinical faculty and student compliance in all site requirements. This certificate is a required document on CB Bridges.
- Clinical Groups:
- ALL requests must be submitted through the CB Bridges System
- Make sure requests are accurate and reflect the correct dates/time students will be on the unit (please separate different sessions/student groups based upon dates).
- If changes are made after the original request, the request must be updated through the CB Bridges system.
The following documentation must be submitted at least three weeks before the start of clinical:
- Please use Appendix “A” Nursing School Requirements as a guideline or checklist for each group or individual student(s) to ensure all requirements are complete. This form does not need to be submitted.
- Please complete and submit Appendix “D” as an annually for each instructor. This is a required document on CB Bridges.
- All faculty must attend clinical orientation annually. Please note the date when faculty has attended orientation within the past year (rolling calendar is permissible).
- All clinical faculty have experiences with students in secure areas must have special ID access granted (Areas are maternal, mother-baby, infant (3rd & 4th floors) (WIS) and intensive care and psychiatry). Security badge access can be provided only with institutional / education authorization. Security hours limited to Monday thru Friday with the hours of 9am to 10am. Newborn security training is required for all nursing students and clinical faculty going to the maternal areas. This must be done prior to their clinical start date. The training will occur on a mutually arranged date between WIS and clinical faculty, which is not on the same day as clinical faculty orientation.
- All instructors must have a JHED (a unique username log-in) to access clinical applications at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
- If the clinical faculty needs to have a JHED created, please complete a JHED ID request form and email it to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu. If you already have a JHED, please do not request another one.
One of the following EPIC (verification) training must be verified and / or completed before the start of clinical:
- Current Sibley employee active in clinical and full access to EPIC - or -
- Competent in EPIC by testing out; MUST HAVE JHID log on (see this link for EPIC test out information) - or -
- Attend Epic 101 Inpatient Nurse training class. The Johns Hopkins Hospital uses the Epic system for clinical documentation, order entry and electronic medical record access.
- Clinical faculty who have not used the Epic system within the past year will need to attend training again or test out again.
- For a schedule of Epic training classes, you must request a training session (offered at Sibley or Suburban) by contacting SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu.
- Point of Care Testing (Glucometer) - You will have to complete an annual on-line competency and perform a face-to-face quality control competency. This training will be done during instructor clinical orientation; dates are noted.
- Share one or two shifts on the nursing unit. The amount of time needed for orientation will be left to the Nurse Manager's discretion. Clinical faculty will be provided the managers contact information so a mutually agreeable time can occur for a brief orientation.
- Clinical instructors will orient students to the unit/hospital.
Students (This information is provided by Clinical Faculty to students)
- Ensure that all students have completed all health and physical requirements.
- Ensure that students have completed and uploaded all supplemental requirements to CB Bridges.
Clinical Coordinator or INDIVIDUAL student request for practicum placement & Current Sibley (Nursing) employee INDIVIDUAL request
- All academic institutions must have a current Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Certificate of Insurance (COI) (Liability) with Sibley Memorial Hospital (Johns Hopkins) to commence any practicum experience request. The COI must have a valid date through the practicum end date. See Q&A to inquire about MOU.
- Practicum requirements and applications can be seen in Appendix "A", Appendix "PP" (please email Appendix PP form to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu; along with any other scanned information regarding practicum requests), and Appendix "B". No applications will be considered until a valid MOU and COI is finalized.
- The practicum request Appendix "PP" (please email Appendix PP form to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu; along with any other scanned information regarding practicum requests) will also include:
- Start / end date
- Total number of clinical hours
- Clinical site preference
- Course Syllabus
- Student objectives
- All students in an individual practicum will need a JHED ID (a unique username login) to access clinical applications at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
- If you already have JHED, please do not request a second one.
- If you do not have JHED, please complete JHED request form and email the completed form to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu.
- You will need to take on-line learning modules. These will be added to your e learning once you have JHED access. Instructions about this will be included in your JHED package.
- If you are a Sibley nurse and requesting clinical oversight for academic credit, you must submit request Appendix "PP" (please email Appendix PP form to SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu; along with any other scanned information regarding practicum requests).
- If you are a Sibley employee, you may only participate in practicum experience on unit where you are not an employee. You will be unable to obtain academic credit (hours) while you are being paid as an employee. It is up to each student to work with the Education department to find preceptors. The preceptor cannot be in the student / employee direct line of reporting (i.e. no direct supervisors can be a preceptor).
The Department of Nursing has a Standardized Apparel Program, which means employees wear scrubs in the color designated for their role. Nursing students and instructors are required to wear their school-designated scrubs. Students are required to wear school ID prominently displayed at all times. Instructors may wear scrubs appropriate for a professional setting or a lab coat over their clothing. Please demonstrate professional behavior and attire at all times. Any student not adhering to professional standards can be asked to leave the facility emergently.
- We encourage students to take public transportation to and from Sibley. Sibley provides a shuttle between the Tenleytown Metro and the hospital, Monday thru Friday. The Shuttle Service will depart the Tenleytown Metro Station every hour on the hour from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. From the Sibley Medical Building, and will depart the Medical Building every hour on the half-hour from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The Metrobus'S "D6" & "M4" drop off and pick in front of the hospital also.
- If you plan on driving, all students are required to park in the designated offsite lot. Sibley has purchased off-site parking access, which is located in a nearby lot across the street from the EXXON at 6100 McArthur Blvd. Students who wish to drive, can purchase a sticker from security for $25 and park in the off-site lot. The number of parking stickers per clinical group is limited. The Sibley shuttle will pick up and drop off at the offsite parking lot located across from the Exxon station at 6100 MacArthur Blvd. The shuttle will pick up at Sibley every hour (except for 11:20 a.m.) from 6:20 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. in front of Building A, Monday through Friday.
- Exxon Shuttle Bus Service Sibley Pickup Times
- Monday - Friday
- A.M.: 6:20, 7:20, 8:20, 9:20, 10:20
- P.M. 12:20, 1:20, 2:20, 3:20, 4:20
- Monday - Friday
- MOU (Memorandum of Understanding between School and Sibley)
- If you are requesting a clinical experience at Sibley, your school must have a current written agreement of understanding with Sibley. Annually, Sibley also must have verification that there is a valid Certificate of Insurance (COI) on file. The COI usually runs on a calendar or fiscal year. Please verify if your university has a current agreement by emailing SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu. To commence an agreement, if there is none present, please email SMH-NursingStudents@jhmi.edu.