The Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane Pediatric Residency Training Program strongly values diversity and is thrilled to welcome students who are underrepresented in pediatrics to apply for senior elective rotations in pediatric cardiology, hematology, infectious disease or oncology.
We are providing a stipend of $2000 for up to six qualified students per academic year to help defray the cost of an away rotation. The stipend for students NOT paying for housing will be $500. We define the following groups as underrepresented: Black (African/African American), Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban American, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American), Native American, and Native Hawaiian.
Applications will be considered based on merit and availability. We will only consider applicants who wish to complete the elective between July and November of each academic year. We anticipate we may not be able to fund as many qualified applicants for this program as we would like and are actively looking for funding to expand this program in the future.
- Final year of medical school
- Good standing at medical school
- Completion of core clerkship in pediatrics
- Applying for residency position in pediatrics or the combined medicine/pediatrics program
- Pursuing a medical degree at an LCME-accredited medical school
If you are at Johns Hopkins for an elective NOT sponsored through this elective program, please let Carly Hyde know when you will be at Hopkins. We’d love to meet you!
- Applications open on February 21, 2022
- Application deadline is April 15, 2022
- We aim to inform students of application status by May 6, 2022
2022 in-person visiting elective tentative dates:
- July 18 – August 12
- August 15 – September 16
- September 19 – October 14
- October 17 – November 11
- Please complete online application: Visiting Elective Application
- Please have your registrar’s office send us an official transcript:
Johns Hopkins Children's Center Visiting Elective Program
c/o Carly Hyde
Department of Pediatrics
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center building, Room 8451
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
- We will let you know by May 6, 2022 if we can honor your elective request based on eligibility availability for the dates requested, and availability of designated funds to provide the stipend.
If you have any questions, please fill free to contact our Medical Training Coordinator Carly Hyde at email@example.com.