I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Johns Hopkins University has selected iLab Solutions as the enterprise-wide core facility management system. iLab Solutions is the leader in providing web-based management services to academic research institutions with customers that include leading NIH-funded universities, research hospitals, and independent institutes. iLab is designed to save researchers time, make more efficient use of JHU core facilities, and increase transparency and provide standardization.
Critical to the success of the Johns Hopkins research community is the ability to improve the visibility and efficiency of the core network. The purchase of a site license to expand the use of the iLab Solutions web-based core management software program is one such means of achieving this success. iLab’s uniform management system effectively decreases the administrative burden of core managers, leaving more time to devote to the more critical facets of their work. It also enables our research community to access core facilities through one centralized portal that is easy to navigate and is accessible from anywhere our investigators work.
After an extensive evaluation and selection process, the program was implemented in 2011 by the School of Medicine’s Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center in an effort to streamline their core facility operations. To make the most of this success, the expansion of iLab’s use across our schools is seen as a key component to strategic management of JHU’s core facilities. The iLab program is fully integrated with the JHED authentication process and SAP financial system for convenient access, account validation, and payment processing. Those assets improve core function and financial stability which make iLab effective at managing core facilities and optimizing revenue.
Benefits of iLab
iLab provides a unique platform for core facilities to efficiently support the management of service requests, equipment scheduling, project tracking, communication, billing, and reporting. Individual core facility implementation, while expensive, will be paid for by the School of Medicine. Additional benefits of the program are:
- Provides a single web-based portal for access to all core facilities for the University.
- PI’s and financial managers can easily manage what budgets their lab members have access to.
- Users can easily track the status of service requests orders and reserve time on instrumentation. Finding available instrumentation and making the reservations for conducting research is easy through the iLab portal. A system that tracks equipment use and performs accurate billing keeps costs down and at the appropriate level for all users.
- PI’s and financial managers can track usage metrics and costs for budgetary purposes and for grant writing.
- Billing is automatic and is integrated with the reservation / usage tracking system giving real-time usage metrics and budgeting capabilities.
- Enables safe guards to prevent users from reserving time on (or using) equipment that requires training.
- Provides usage metrics for the instrumentation in your facility.
- Automatically sends billing files to SAP.
- Automatically provides detailed invoices for each billing event to PI’s and financial managers.
- Provides administrators with a bird’s eye view of Core usage and performance.
Interested in iLab For Your Core Facility?
If you’re interested in exploring iLab Solutions for your core facility there are a number of resources to assist you in the process. Please browse the online demonstrations and information below, read through the iLab User Support and Guides section, or contact our team of iLab Project Managers at firstname.lastname@example.org to setup a demo with your core facility.
- Overview of iLab
- iLab Sample Processing Module
- iLab Sample Tracking and Barcoding (Inventory Management)
- iLab Hardware Interlock & Kiosk Module
- iLab Subsidy Module
Comments or Questions?
We welcome your feedback! It is our goal to make the iLab program accurate, reliable, efficient and user-friendly.
Please share your comments or suggestions by contacting email@example.com.