We know there may be challenges for finding accommodations for family members who want to be with you during your stay at a hospital. Fortunately, our housing program can help. Here are some points to consider when deciding on the best housing options for your stay.
Considerations When Choosing Accommodations
- If handicapped-accessibility is important, please clarify this when making arrangements.
- Lower-cost housing often involves a waiting list, meaning reservations cannot be confirmed ahead of time. If you are on a waiting list, be sure to have a back-up plan, such as a local hotel reservation. When making hotel reservations, ask about cancellation policies.
- Some properties cannot accommodate children, so be sure to inquire if your party includes a child. You may also consider specific housing options for pediatric patients. Usually these properties do not have hotel amenities, such as daily housekeeping services, in-house restaurants, or concierge services.
- Be sure to clarify the number of guest and rooms that will be required during the entirety of your stay. Some facilities restrict the number of rooms one family can occupy.
Johns Hopkins has negotiated discounted rates for patients and families with a number of hotels near our hospitals. When requesting reservations, ask about specific offers for patients at the hospital you plan to visit.
Many hotels in and around downtown Baltimore offer complimentary shuttle services for Johns Hopkins patients and their family members.
Please see our complete list of hotels near The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Johns Hopkins Green Spring Station, Johns Hopkins White Marsh, and the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Please note that rates do not include tax and are subject to change without notice.
Need to stay longer than a week or need special accommodations? Short- and long-term housing options are available near the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Housing for Adult Cancer Patients and Families
The Hackerman-Patz Patient and Family Pavilion is a “home away from home” for adult cancer patients and their families. The pavilion is across the street from the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building on the main hospital campus. Comprised of 29 suites and 10 one-bedroom apartments, the Pavilion offers affordable short- and long-term housing for Kimmel Cancer Center patients and their caregivers, and can accommodate other Johns Hopkins patients when space allows. Outpatients must have a caregiver stay with them, and all guests must be 12 years or older.
Residence Inn Baltimore at the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus
The Residence Inn Baltimore at the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus is located at 800 North Wolfe Street, two blocks from The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Featuring spacious studios and one-and two-bedroom suites, the Residence Inn also provides fully-equipped kitchens, a complimentary grocery delivery service (upon request), a 24-hour fitness center and a patient and visitor shuttle.
If you need to relocate to Baltimore for several weeks or months, there are several long-term housing options to choose from. Most are within 2 to 5 miles of The Johns Hopkins Hospital. For information on leasing options, contact the properties directly, or your medical/surgical coordinator or social worker can help you with a referral. All of these properties offer furnished apartments:
Specialized Housing For Children and Families
The Children’s House is located within a half block walking distance to the Children’s Center and has been providing exceptional accommodations for more than 25 years to pediatric patients and their families. The house serves 15 families every night in a home-away-from-home environment, while offering an array of services to support families during their stay. For more information, call 410-614-2560.
The Ronald McDonald house is a warm and welcoming residence only a short drive from the hospital. It accommodates patients aged 21 years and younger and their families who have traveled more than 30 miles for treatment at the hospital (oncology families are exempt from the mileage requirement). For more information, call 410-528-1010.
- Columbia Inn at Peralynna Manor
- Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia
- Hampton Inn & Suites / Columbia South
- Hampton Inn Columbia Maryland
- Hilton Garden Inn Columbia
- Holiday Inn Columbia East-Jessup
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
- The Hotel at Turf Valley
- Marriott Courtyard Columbia
- Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
- Sonesta ES Suites
- Springhill Suites Columbia by Marriott
- American Inn of Bethesda*
- Bethesda Marriott
- Bethesda Hyatt Regency
- Bolger Center
- The Bethesda Hotel Tapestry Collection by Hilton*
- North Bethesda Marriott
- Residence Inn of Bethesda
* The DoubleTree and American Inn of Bethesda offer discounted rates for families of Suburban Hospital patients. Please mention Suburban Hospital when inquiring about a reservation. Room availability and discounts are based on availability and are not guaranteed.The DoubleTree can also provide shuttle service from the hotel to the hospital and the outpatient center on Rockledge Drive