Combining insights on both endocrinology and head and neck endocrine surgery, the Multidisciplinary Parathyroid Clinic addresses conditions affecting the parathyroid glands. Our knowledge and skill are balanced with a caring, individualized approach to each patient.
Will you need parathyroid surgery?
Not necessarily! Treatment for parathyroid problems is not a one-size-fits-all matter. When you visit our clinic, an endocrinologist and a head and neck endocrine surgeon together review your medical history and determine if a medical or surgical approach is better for you. Our team only recommends surgery when it is the most appropriate course of action.
Read more in our Health Library:
- Disorders of the Parathyroid Glands
- Parathyroid Tumor
Why choose Johns Hopkins for parathyroid disorders?
- We understand that parathyroid problems can affect different people in different ways and we listen to your concerns. You can count on being treated as an individual as soon as you visit our clinic.
- Because of the large number of patients we see for parathyroid problems, we have the experience and keen understanding to help recommend the right treatment for you at the right time, reserving surgery for when it’s necessary to restore your health.
- If you do need surgery, Ralph P. Tufano, M.D. M.B.A., has years of experience performing parathyroid surgery with a range of approaches, including minimally invasive focused and scarless techniques.
- Our expertise in surgery of the head and neck means we can take special care, even in challenging situations such as re-operative surgery, to navigate the delicate structures that control the vocal cords and swallowing mechanisms.
- After surgery we support your ongoing recovery, including follow-up of your bone and kidney health.
Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Metabolic Bone & Osteoporosis Center
Associate Program Director, Johns Hopkins Endocrinology Fellowship Program
Charles W. Cummings M.D. Professor
Director, Division of Head and Neck Endocrine Surgery
Director, The Johns Hopkins Hospital Multidisciplinary Thyroid Tumor Center