Research constitutes a major pillar of our division’s tripartite mission. Research activities at our contribute to the Johns Hopkins overall research mission by investigating outcomes of patients hospitalized with wide ranges of disease, implementing clinical process improvement using qualitative methods and conducting clinical trials. Our researchers have access to exceptional mentors/content experts across the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and collaborate with statisticians and epidemiologists from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and the Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR).
Research is essential to the core of the Division of Hospital Medicine at Bayview Medical Center. As academic hospitalists, we contribute to the fund of knowledge of hospital medicine which helps our patients. Scholarship is also essential for the development of individual hospitalists and the Division as a whole.
To facilitate this development and widen our impact on patient care, the BEAR Core:
- Brings together clinicians, researchers, and research support staff in a unified setting to promote transparency of research
- Engages potential collaborators and provide constructive feedback on projects
- Coordinates research resources
- Provides peer mentorship to colleagues who are new to research.
The BEAR Core is meant to ensure collaboration, prevent inefficiencies and/or competition for resources, and provide a sustainable research model for the Division. Hospitalists are under constant pressure to perform clinical duties given their breadth of expertise and ability to practice in multiple settings. Research success ensures continued clinical protection for research.
BEAR Core meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month, from 3 to 4 p.m.
Hospital Medicine Grand Rounds (HMGR) were started in 2017 as a forum for hospitalists and other health care professionals to discuss advances in the care of the hospitalized patient. This lecture series covers a wide array of clinical, operational, quality improvement and research issues most relevant to hospitalists and other clinicians who care for hospitalized patients. HMGR is also a forum where visiting professors from various academic institutions from around the country share their research findings and disseminate clinical, operational and quality best practices.
In prior years, HMGR covered topics such as the role of hospitalists in antibiotic stewardship, care of inpatients with opioid use disorders, and professional development and tools for time management for hospital medicine groups.
The Division of Hospital Medicine has active faculty prolific in high quality scholarly work.
Publications from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021
- AlGhatrif M, Cingolani O, Lakatta EG. The Dilemma of Coronavirus Disease 2019, Aging, and Cardiovascular Disease: Insights From Cardiovascular Aging Science. JAMA Cardiol. 2020 Jul 1;5(7):747-748.
- Zampino M, AlGhatrif M, Kuo PL, Simonsick EM, Ferrucci L. Longitudinal Changes in Resting Metabolic Rates with Aging Are Accelerated by Diseases. Nutrients. 2020 Oct 7;12(10):3061.
- Karikkineth AC, AlGhatrif M, Oberdier MT, Morrell C, Palchamy E, Strait JB, Ferrucci L, Lakatta EG. Sex Differences in Longitudinal Determinants of Carotid Intima Medial Thickening With Aging in a Community-Dwelling Population: The Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging. J Am Heart Assoc. 2020 Nov 17;9(22):e015396.
- Monteonofrio L, Florio MC, AlGhatrif M, Lakatta EG, Capogrossi MC. Aging- and gender-related modulation of RAAS: potential implications in COVID-19 disease. Vasc Biol. 2020 Dec 11;3(1):R1-R1
- AlGhatrif M, Tanaka T, Moore AZ, Bandinelli S, Lakatta EG, Ferrucci L. Age-associated difference in circulating ACE2, the gateway for SARS-COV-2, in humans: results from the InCHIANTI study. Geroscience. 2021 Apr;43(2):619-627.
- Alhajri N, Simsekler MCE, Alfalasi B, Alhashmi M, AlGhatrif M, Balalaa N, Al Ali M, Almaashari R, Al Memari S, Al Hosani F, Al Zaabi Y, Almazroui S, Alhashemi H, Baltatu OC. Physicians' Attitudes Toward Telemedicine Consultations During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Cross-sectional Study. JMIR Med Inform. 2021 Jun 1;9(6):e29251.
- AlGhatrif M, Morrell CH, Becker LC, Chantler PD, Najjar SS, Ferrucci L, Gerstenblith G, Lakatta EG. Longitudinal uncoupling of the heart and arteries with aging in a community-dwelling population. Geroscience. 2021 Apr;43(2):551-561.
- Beydoun HA, Butt C, Beydoun MA, Eid SM, Zonderman AB, Johnstone B. Two latent classes of diagnostic and treatment procedures among traumatic brain injury inpatients. Sci Rep. 2020 Jul 2;10(1):10825.
- Metkus TS, Miller PE, Stephens RS, Schulman SP, Eid SM. Incidence, Predictors, and Outcomes of Failure of Noninvasive Ventilation in Acute Heart Failure Hospitalization. Respir Care. 2020 Oct;65(10):1527-1533.
- Liang H, Tao L, Ford EW, Beydoun MA, Eid SM. The patient-centered oncology care on health care utilization and cost: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Health Care Manage Rev. 2020 Oct/Dec;45(4):364-376.
- Gupta I, Eid SM, Gillaspie EA, Broderick S, Shafiq M. Epidemiologic Trends in Pleural Infection. A Nationwide Analysis. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2021 Mar;18(3):452-459.
- Beydoun HA, Butt C, Beydoun MA, Hossain S, Eid SM, Zonderman AB. Cross-sectional study of major procedure codes among hospitalized patients with traumatic brain injury by level of injury severity in the 2004 to 2014 Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Medicine (Baltimore). 2021 Feb 12;100(6):e24438.
- Khaliq W, Aboabdo M, Harris CM, Bazerbashi N, Moughames E, Al Jalbout N, Hajjar K, Beydoun HA, Beydoun MA, Eid SM. Regional variation in outcomes and healthcare resources utilization in, emergency department visits for syncope. Am J Emerg Med. 2021 Jun;44:62-67.
- Beydoun HA, Hossain S, Huang S, Beydoun MA, Alemu BT, Eid SM, Zonderman AB. Sex Differences in Patterns of Sleep Disorders Among Hospitalizations With Parkinson's Disease: 2004-2014 Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Psychosom Med. 2021 Jun 1;83(5):477-484.
- Linker AS, Kulkarni SA, Astik GJ, Keniston A, Sakumoto M, Eid SM, Burden M, Leykum LK; HOMERuN COVID-19 Collaborative Working Group. Bracing for the Wave: a Multi-Institutional Survey Analysis of Inpatient Workforce Adaptations in the First Phase of COVID-19. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 May 28:1–6.
- Sheikh F, Gathecha E, Arbaje AI, Christmas C. Internal Medicine Residents' Views About Care Transitions: Results of an Educational Intervention. J Med Educ Curric Dev. 2021 Jan 20;8:2382120520988590.
- Harris CM, Albaeni A, Norris KC. Impact of Malnutrition in Patients With Infective Endocarditis. Nutr Clin Pract. 2021 Apr;36(2):472-479.
- Albaeni A, Harris CM, Nasser H, Sifontes S, Hasan SM, Guduru S, Abusaada K, Chatila K, Gilani S, Khalife WI. In-Hospital acute ischemic stroke following ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc. 2020 Dec 10;31:100684.
- Harris CM, Wright SM. Malnutrition in Hospitalized Adults With Cerebral Palsy. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2021 Jan 12.
- Harris CM, Kotwal S, Wright SM. A Nationwide Study Examining Deafness Among Hospitalized Adults. Am J Audiol. 2021 Jun 14;30(2):275-280.
- Harris CM, Wright SM. Severe vision impairment and blindness in hospitalized patients: a retrospective nationwide study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2021 Jun 22;21(1):263.
- Mehta AK, Wright SM, Wu DS, Harris CM. Palliative Care Involvement in Patients Hospitalized in the United States with Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. J Palliat Med. 2021 Jun 24. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2021.0116. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34166123.
- Chaudhary R, Mohananey A, Sharma SP, Singh S, Singh A, Kondur A. Improving Outcomes in Cardiovascular Diseases: A Review on Vorapaxar. Cardiol Rev. 2021 Mar 19. doi: 10.1097/CRD.0000000000000390. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33758122.
- Dumic I, Glomski B, Patel J, Nordin T, Nordstrom CW, Sprecher LJ, Niendorf E, Singh A, Simeunovic K, Subramanian A, Igandan O, Vitorovic D. "Double Trouble": Severe Meningoencephalitis Due to Borrelia burgdorferi and Powassan Virus Co-Infection Successfully Treated with Intravenous Immunoglobulin. Am J Case Rep. 2021 Mar 24;22:e929952.
- Jones JA, Siddiqui ZK, Callahan C, Leekha S, Smyth S, Preas MA, Ficke JR, Cabunoc MKF, Kantsiper ME; CONQUER COVID Consortium. Infection Prevention Considerations for a Multi-Mission Convention Center Field Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2021 Jun 18:1-21.
- Chaudhary MJ, Howell E, Ficke JR, Loffredo A, Wortman L, Benton GM, Deol GS, Kantsiper ME. Caring for Patients at a COVID-19 Field Hospital. J Hosp Med. 2021 Feb;16(2):117-119.
- Weston L, Alkhatib H, Kotwal S. Atypical chest pain with precordial T wave inversions. Eur J Intern Med. 2020 Dec;82:112-113.
- Kotwal S, Fanai M, Fu W, Wang Z, Bery AK, Omron R, Tevzadze N, Gold D, Garibaldi BT, Wright SM, Newman-Toker DE. Real-world virtual patient simulation to improve diagnostic performance through deliberate practice: a prospective quasi-experimental study. Diagnosis (Berl). 2021 Mar 5. doi: 10.1515/dx-2020-0127. Online ahead of print.
- Christmas C, Dunning K, Hanyok LA, Ziegelstein RC, Rand CS, Record JD. Effects on Physician Practice After Exposure to a Patient-Centered Care Curriculum During Residency. J Grad Med Educ. 2020 Dec;12(6):705-709.
- Hueppchen NA, Ziegelstein RC, Record JD. The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Acad Med. 2020 Sep;95(9S A Snapshot of Medical Student Education in the United States and Canada: Reports From 145 Schools):S206-S210.
- Woller J, Tackett S, Apfel A, Record J, Cayea D, Walker S, Pahwa A. Feasibility of clinical performance assessment of medical students on a virtual sub-internship in the United States. J Educ Eval Health Prof. 2021;18:12.
- Anderson IJ, Berk J, Bertram A, Stein A, Niranjan-Azadi A, Record J, King C, Garber A, Pahwa A. Supplementing the Subinternship: Effect of E-Learning Modules on Subintern Knowledge and Confidence. Am J Med. 2021 May 19:S0002-9343(21)00295-3.
- Record JD, Ziegelstein RC, Christmas C, Rand CS, Hanyok LA. Delivering Personalized Care at a Distance: How Telemedicine Can Foster Getting to Know the Patient as a Person. J Pers Med. 2021 Feb 17;11(2):137.
- Jang MK, Tunc I, Berry GJ, Marboe C, Kong H, Keller MB, Shah PD, Timofte I, Brown AW, Ponor IL, Mutebi C, Philogene MC, Yu K, Iacono A, Orens JB, Nathan SD, Agbor-Enoh S. Donor-derived cell-free DNA accurately detects acute rejection in lung transplant patients, a multicenter cohort study. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2021 Apr 24:S1053-2498(21)02281-6.
- Ponor IL, Demehri S, Wright SM, Cappelli LC, Gelber AC. A Red, Painful, and Swollen Foot Overlying a Bone Erosion. Am J Med. 2020 Nov;133(11):e615-e618.
- Bodnar B, Kane EM, Rupani H, Michtalik H, Billioux VG, Pleiss A, Huffman L, Kobayashi K, Toteja R, Brotman DJ, Herzke C. Bed downtime: the novel use of a quality metric allows inpatient providers to improve patient flow from the emergency department. Emerg Med J. 2021 Feb 16:emermed-2020-209425.
- Ranasinghe PD, Owusu JT, Bertram A, Michtalik H, Yeh HC, Cofrancesco J Jr, Levine D, Miller Iii ER, Marinopoulos S. Depressive Symptoms and Burnout Among Medical Students: a Prospective Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 May 26. doi:10.1007/s11606-021-06765-x. Epub ahead of print.
- Shelton C, Demidowich AP, Motevalli M, Sokolinsky S, MacKay P, Tucker C, Abundo C, Peters E, Gooding R, Hackett M, Wedler J, Alexander LA, Barry L, Flynn M, Rios P, Fulda CL, Young MF, Kahl B, Pummer E, Mathioudakis NN, Sidhaye A, Howell EE, Rotello L, Zilbermint M. Retrospective Quality Improvement Study of Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia and Implementation of Hospital-Wide Initiatives. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2021 Apr 21:19322968211008513. doi: 10.1177/19322968211008513. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33880952.
- Vishnupriya K. Gin and Tonic – Cultural Footprints of Disease. CLOSLER. 2021 Jan 29.
- Shah NB, Nigwekar SU, Kalim S, et al. The Gut and Blood Microbiome in IgA Nephropathy and Healthy Controls. Kidney360. Published online June 9, 2021:10.34067/KID.0000132021. doi:10.34067/KID.0000132021
- Washburn C, Gundareddy V, Kisuule F. Hospitalists and Their Roles in the COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States and Beyond. Spanish J Med. Published online June 29, 2021. doi: 10.24875/SJMED.21000011
- Owodunni OP, Lau BD, Shaffer DL, McQuigg D, Samuel D, Kantsiper M, Harris JE, Hobson DB, Kraus PS, Webster KLW, Holzmueller CG, Kia MV, Streiff MB, Haut ER. Disseminating a patient-centered education bundle to reduce missed doses of pharmacologic venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis to a community hospital. Clinical Risk. Published online November 4, 2020. Doi: 10.1177/2516043520969324.
- Research Administration Team
- Faculty Resources (login required)
Senior Research Analyst
5200 Eastern Avenue
Mason F. Lord Bldg., East Tower Room 260
Baltimore, MD 21224