Managing Prescriptions for Chronic Pain
Wellness and Prevention
- Pain Management Procedures
- Pain Management
- 7 Ways to Treat Chronic Back Pain Without Surgery
- Sympathetic Nerve Blocks for Pain
- Cryotherapy Cold Therapy for Pain Management
- Palliative Care Methods for Controlling Pain
- Prescribed a Painkiller? If It’s an Opioid, Read This First
- Analgesic Nephropathy
- Nerve Blocks
- Neck Pain and Problems See More
Living with chronic pain may have a negative impact on a person’s physical, emotional and social well-being. Chronic pain management programs may include medication to help patients tolerate the pain. Pain management specialists and other providers can offer help with managing prescriptions for chronic pain to ensure safety along with pain relief.
Prescription pain medicines provide stronger relief than over-the-counter medicines. However, many of these prescription medications are known to cause potentially dangerous side effects. Taking prescription pain medicines, especially opioids, for an extended period of time can lead to drug tolerance and even abuse. That’s why managing prescriptions for chronic pain needs to be handled carefully with safety and balance in mind.
The goal of chronic pain management is to improve the patient’s function and overall quality of life. To successfully manage prescriptions for chronic pain, keep health care providers informed of all medications and any related side effects.