Gynecologic Surgery and Doctors at Sibley Memorial Hospital
If you have a pelvic health concern, surgery may be able to help. At the Sibley Center for Gynecologic Oncology and Advanced Pelvic Surgery in Washington, D.C., our team offers you expertise in a wide range of procedures, including minimally invasive approaches to improve your health and well-being.
Dr. Jeanine Nicole Staples on the Importance of Gynecologic Health
Conditions We Treat
Surgery can address a variety of gynecologic conditions, including:
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Benign growths, such as uterine fibroids, uterine polyps, ovarian cysts and gestational trophoblastic disease (tumors that are usually benign but can become malignant)
- Cervical dysplasia
- Urinary incontinence
- Bartholin gland cyst and abscess
- Gynecologic cancers, including cervical cancer, fallopian tube cancer, ovarian cancer, peritoneal cancer, vaginal cancer and vulvar cancer
Surgical Options for Gynecologic Conditions
Our gynecologic surgeons are experts in a variety of traditional open, laparoscopic and minimally invasive surgical approaches, including:
- Hysterectomy (uterus removal)
- Myomectomy (fibroid removal)
- Radical surgery for cancer and tumor debulking
- Reconstructive surgery to restore function of the pelvic organs
- Surgery for pelvic organ prolapse
- Dilation and curettage (D&C) (removal of tissue from inside your uterus)
- Diagnostic to determine tissue abnormalities
- Therapeutic to potentially help with abnormal bleeding
Why choose a gynecologic surgical specialist?
Gynecologists receive surgical training during their residency, and some go on to practice gynecologic surgery. Most gynecologists practice women’s medicine, which occasionally includes surgery.
Our gynecologic surgical specialists are fully focused on the surgical needs of women; we do not practice general women’s health. When you have a choice, select a specialist who is experienced in performing the procedure you need and is skilled in the most effective and minimally invasive approaches.
The Johns Hopkins specialists at Sibley perform more than 600 gynecologic surgeries a year. All our surgeons have completed fellowship training to advance in their area of expertise, whether it’s gynecologic oncology or female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.
Meet Our Team
Our Washington, D.C., team is composed of four fellowship-trained Johns Hopkins gynecologic experts who specialize in a variety of needs.
Our Gynecologic Surgeons and Doctors
Why Choose Sibley for Gynecologic Surgery
- Patient education: Our surgeons help you understand the potential impact of gynecologic surgeries on your fertility and your overall health so you can make informed decisions.
- Minimally invasive approaches: When it is appropriate for you, our surgeons may be able to offer a minimally invasive approach to your surgery to shorten your recovery time and help you get back to your regular activities sooner.
- Broad expertise: Our team includes experts in gynecologic surgery and gynecologic oncology, as well as pelvic reconstructive surgery and urogynecology to ensure you receive well-rounded care.
Our Care Location
The Sibley Center for Gynecologic Oncology and Advanced Pelvic Surgery
The center is located at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C., and offers a full range of diagnostic, surgical, screening and rehabilitation services for women with gynecologic cancers and other complex gynecologic problems.
5255 Loughboro Road NW
Washington, D.C. 20016