Colorectal Surgery at Johns Hopkins Medicine
A diagnosis of colon, rectal or anal disease may mean you need surgery. We offer experienced surgeons, clear communication, expert teamwork and compassionate care to our patients.
Conditions We Treat
Our colon and rectal surgeons treat the following:
- Anal cancer
- Colon cancer
- Colon polyps
- Crohn’s disease
- Diverticular disease
- Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) syndrome
- Fecal incontinence
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Rectal cancer
- Rectal prolapse
- Ulcerative colitis
Our Advanced Surgical Treatments
- 5x5 protocol: This shorter, more aggressive approach to rectal cancer management combines radiation and chemotherapy for treatment before surgery.
- Cytoreductive surgery and heated chemotherapy (HIPEC): This surgical removal of the tumor is followed by heated chemotherapy drugs delivered directly into the abdomen.
- Minimally invasive surgery, including laparoendoscopic surgery: Several techniques that can reduce the risk of infection and pain and shorten recovery time include laparoendoscopic surgery, which can remove failing organs through one small incision.
- Robotic surgery: These techniques for less invasive and more precise surgical procedures use a console that controls the surgeon’s movements.
- Transanal endoscopic surgery (TEM): This alllows surgeons to remove a polyp or superficial lesion through the anus without making an incision.
Why choose Johns Hopkins for colorectal disease treatment?
Our multidisciplinary team’s work encompasses every aspect of colorectal disease care, from diagnosis to treatment and recovery.
We offer the full range of surgical treatments, including robotic and laparoscopic minimally invasive colorectal surgery.
You get timely access to care by scheduling appointments within one to two weeks as well as care through telemedicine when appropriate.
Meet Our Colorectal Surgeons in the Greater Washington, D.C. Area
Care Locations for Colorectal Treatment in Washington D.C.
Sibley Memorial Hospital
5215 Loughboro Road NW
Sibley Medical Office Building, Suite 150
Washington, DC 20016 map
8600 Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
10215 Fernwood Road, Suite 630
Bethesda, MD 20817 map