I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Medical Behavior Program
Taking care of illnesses and injuries is critical for older adults. When treating physical problems is complicated by a secondary mental health need that requires inpatient care, a specialized treatment program can help. For patients, family members, and caregivers, finding a place where mental health needs are taken into consideration can make all the difference.
Johns Hopkins offers a medical psychiatry program to answer those specialized needs. The program provides comprehensive inpatient care to older adults with complex medical needs, in addition to offering specialty consultations to address psychiatric conditions and behavioral symptoms. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech language pathology, and therapeutic recreation are also part of the program.
Conditions treated through the program
Mental health conditions that are treated include:
- Anxiety and irritability
What you can expect
Typically, patients ages 55 and older are admitted to the program for a primary medical condition and a secondary mental health need for which evaluation and treatment in an inpatient setting is needed. Treatment interventions may include:
- Medical management
- Behavioral management
- Medication management
- Intravenous therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Post-surgical care
A patient must have:
- A medical diagnosis and corresponding treatment plan that cannot be managed in a less intensive inpatient or outpatient setting
- A psychiatric diagnosis or behavioral condition that requires psychiatric consultation
- A need for a chronic level of hospital care to safely and effectively manage medications and the behavioral care plan
The program cannot care for patients who require:
- Acute inpatient hospital care
- Nursing services beyond what is available with the program
- Continuous physician services for existing medical or psychiatric conditions
- Seclusion and/or restraints
For referrals or information
To make a referral or for more information, call 410-550-7642 or visit the Medical Behavior Program’s website.
Who we are
The Medical Behavior Program is part of the Specialty Hospital Programs, a Joint Commission-accredited facility located in Baltimore, Maryland, that offers a range of continuing care services for older adults—including inpatient rehabilitation, ventilator/respiratory care, specialized wound therapy, and complex medical care.