I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Diversity and Inclusion
The Mosaic Initiative was created five years ago by the Division of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology in an effort to recruit a diverse group of fellows, faculty and staff and to more generally promote a culture of inclusiveness. This Initiative not only creates an inclusive, energetic academic environment, it also more closely matches the population of patients we serve. The population of older adults will continue to diversify, to include increasing numbers, and percentages, of older adults of other ethnicities.
The Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology seeks to recruit faculty and train students and fellows from diverse backgrounds to serve that changing population. The Mosaic Initiative leads the Divisional efforts to recruit and retain these teachers and learners, and to diversify Divisional staff as well.
Notable accomplishments of the Mosaic Initiative:
- Annual “Mosaic Initiative Lectureship”
- Topics have included: training and career transitions for under-representative minorities, as well as members of the LGBTQ (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer) community
- Create and disseminate “Mosaic Messages” to promote civility and respect in the workplace
- Partnered with Howard University, in Washington, D.C., to collaborate on training
- Two fellows in past five years have come from Howard
- Created team-building and inclusiveness activities for Division staff
- Annual Division-wide picnic at Oregon Ridge
- Annual Multicultural Feast (November) where individuals prepare cuisine from their personal heritage to share - music and laughter is abundant as well!
- Periodic “lunch and learn” sessions on topics such as unconscious bias, racial tension in American cities, religious traditions, art and culture in America
- Invited former fellows to lecture on the need for diversity, cultural sensitivity, and related topics
- Have collaborated with other members of the Division to host an annual “Town Hall Meeting” to promote dialogue about a range of issues which might not otherwise have a forum
View some recent photos from Mosaic Initiative events.