I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Diversity and Inclusion
The Mosaic Initiative was created by the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology in an effort to recruit a diverse group of fellows, faculty and staff and to more generally promote a culture of inclusiveness. This Initiative not only promotes an inclusive, energetic academic environment, one which more closely matches the population of patients we serve. The population of older adults will continue to diversify to include increasing numbers and percentages of older adults of many ethnicities.
The Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology seeks to recruit faculty and train students and fellows from diverse backgrounds to serve that changing population. The Mosaic Initiative leads the Divisional efforts to recruit and retain these teachers and learners, and to diversify Divisional staff as well.
Notable accomplishments of the Mosaic Initiative:
- Annual “Mosaic Initiative Lectureship”
- Topics have included: training and career transitions for under-representative minorities, as well as members of the LGBTQ (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer) community
- Create and disseminate “Mosaic Messages” to promote civility and respect in the workplace
- Collaborated with other medical schools, including Howard University (Washington, D.C.,) to collaborate on training and career pathway guidance (two recent JHU fellows have come to us from Howard)
- Developed team-building and inclusiveness activities for Division staff
- Annual Division-wide picnic at Oregon Ridge State Park
- Annual Multicultural Feast (November) where individuals prepare cuisine from their personal heritage - music and laughter is abundant as well!
- “Lunch and Learn” sessions on topics such as unconscious bias, racial tension in American cities, religious traditions, art and culture in America
- Invited former fellows to lecture on the need for diversity, cultural sensitivity, and related topics
- Division hosts an annual “Town Hall Meeting” to promote dialogue about a range of issues which might not otherwise have a forum
View some recent photos from Mosaic Initiative events.