I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Four Parts for Building a Peer Support Program
Below is a basic outline of information you will find in each part the Roadmap for building a peer support program. Go to each section for more details.
- Assess need for program
- Learn more about the target organization or community
- Secure “buy-in”
- Initial decisions in getting started
- Develop a start-up plan
- Planning for Program Activities
- Program goals
- Program approach, scope, and content
- Program delivery (personnel, matching)
- Communicating about the program
- Potential Challenges and How to Address
- Program policies and Procedures
- Program Leaders
- Roles and responsibilities
- Background, experience and preparation of the leader
- Motivation and inspiration
- Peer Supporters
- Role and experience as a peer supporter
- Providing support for peer supporters
- Core skills/competencies
- Recruitment and retention
- Building Relationships with Program Participants
- Assessment of Peer Supporter Orientation, Training and Follow-up Support Activities
- Quality of Peer Support Services
- Experiences of Peer Supporters in the Program
- Outcomes of the Overall Program
- Financial Sustainability
- Organizational Capacity (maintaining leaders, staff, volunteers and program champions)
- Evaluation Methods (including consumer feedback/success stories, adherence to best practices)
- Following the Program Guide and Recommended Guidelines and Standards