Professional nursing at Suburban Hospital is about more than providing excellent care to our patients. It’s about community, teamwork, compassion, accountability, and integrity. It’s also about professional growth, educational development, and career advancement. Our physicians, nurses, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Nurse Educators and hospital staff are committed to advancing world-class patient care, technology, and clinical research. Learn more about nurses at Suburban Hospital.
Career possibilities: the more you have the better! Here, your professional career choices will span a full range of clinical services with a not-for-profit hospital that is implicitly patient focused. Below is an overview of each of our nursing units. Internships are offered in all medical/surgical areas for qualified RNs, and our Nursing Residency program provides mentoring and training for new nurses.
- Intensive Care Unit – Our ICU nurses care for 1,800 critically ill or injured patients annually within our medical/surgical ICU, including the NIH Heart Center's cardiovascular surgical patients. Recognized by the AACN as a Beacon Unit in 2010, the unit features state-of-the-art equipment and a bright, open environment with large, private patient rooms and Critical Care Intensivists available at all times. Internships are offered twice a year for qualified RNs.
- Cardiothoracic Open Heart Recovery/ICU and Step-down – This unit features 10 ICU beds and 10 step-down beds. Patients in these units will go from open heart surgery to discharge with the same nursing staff. Internship offered twice a year for qualified RNs.
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab – This unit features three new all-digital catheterization labs that provide outputs in the highest resolution available, film-viewing for doctors via high-security Internet access, three newly built, staffed, and equipped catheterization labs and a 14-bed recovery unit.
- Progressive Care Unit – A 20-bed monitored unit for pre- and post-cardiac intervention, telemetry; acute MI, unstable dysrhythmia; CHF or cardiac related diagnosis. Internship offered twice a year for qualified RNs.
- Operating Room – The OR features 15 fully equipped surgical rooms, including two new Open Heart suites, a cystoscopy suite, and a dedicated ophthalmology suite. Our highly successful OR nurse internship program has trained several new OR nurses. Our OR is not only a remarkable place to practice, but a great place to learn! Internship offered twice a year for qualified RNs.
- OR Minor Procedures – The Endoscopy and Minor Procedures department serves both inpatient and outpatients. Common procedures performed include endoscopies, bronchoscopies, pain blocks and chest tube insertions. Physicians and staff alike have been specially trained in these procedures.
- PACU – On an average day, our PACU nurses see 40 to 50 ambulatory and inpatient surgery patients in this unit. Features of the unit include 17 Phase 1 and Phase II beds and an isolation room. With a diverse patient population, no two days are ever the same!
- Emergency Services – Our Emergency/Trauma Center sees more than 40,000 patients each year, including more than 1,300 trauma cases. The 32-bed unit includes Advanced Triage and a Behavioral Health Suite. We are the state-designated Level II Trauma Center for Montgomery County and nearby area patients. Our state-of-the-art facility features an elevated helipad, dedicated 2-bay trauma room, and an MRI Center to diagnose heart attacks and strokes. Other features include the TJC-certified NIH Stroke Center, which offers a Stroke Team which is available 24 hours a day, and an 8-bed minor emergency area that is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. with the goal to have patients out in 90 minutes.
- Clinical Decision Unit (CDU) – An extension of the Emergency Department, the CDU is separate quiet area designed for patient care, comfort and privacy during a 24 - 48 hour stay. The team, which includes nursing staff, social worker, nurse practitioner, physical therapist, occupational therapist and case management) uses a focused approach to quickly evaluate the patient and determine if hospitalization is needed or if the patient can safely return home.
- Pediatric Emergency Services –This unique, 7-bed pediatric unit with four inpatient beds and three emergency beds. This unit provides state of the art emergency equipment and technology services to pediatric patients, 24 hours a day; 7 days a week.
- Adult Medicine – This is a 28-bed unit caring for a variety of medical patients. Practitioners are skilled in managing patients with diabetes, patients requiring hemodialysis or cardiac monitoring, and other multisystem medical conditions.
- Acute Medicine – Acute Medicine is a 31-bed general medical inpatient unit with 28 telemetry beds. Practitioners are skilled in managing peritoneal dialysis, tracheostomies, patients requiring cardiac monitoring, and other multisystem medical conditions.
- Oncology – Oncology unit features 26 beds. The patient population consists of medical and surgical oncology and hematology patients and specializes in pain management, palliative care, and chemotherapy.
- Behavioral Health Inpatient Services – The short stay, voluntary 24 bed unit provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment for adults and adolescents experiencing an acute psychiatric crisis, substance abuse detoxification or inpatient electro-convulsive therapy.
- Adult Surgical – In this 20-bed unit, nurses care for all types of surgical patients except for ortho/neuro cases.
- Orthopedic/Neuroscience/Trauma – This unit features 33 beds with 31 private rooms. Nurses care for patients who have undergone hip and knee replacement, laminectomies, and trauma patients.
Meet Our Nurses
Suburban's nurses talk about what it's like to be a part of Suburban, in their own words.