Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Science Writers' Boot Camp
Monday, April 28, 2014
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with reception to follow
The National Press Club
Learn about the latest neuroscience research from Johns Hopkins experts.
This year's event covered topics such as learning and memory, diseases of the brain, the latest in brain cancer treatments, the incredible healing power of the brain after traumatic injury and how our researchers are mapping the brain.
View the Presentations
Schizophrenia and Autism
Mapping the Brain
Making New Connections...Between Neurons
Mollie Meffert, M.D., Ph.D.
Communication Breakdown: Neurodegeneration
The Unlikely Suspect: Neurons Not Responsible for ALS?
Jeffrey Rothstein, M.D., Ph.D.
Learning and Memory
Recovery After Brain Injury
Relearning Movement After Brain Damage
Amy Bastian, Ph.D.
Motor Recovery After Stroke in Mice and Man
John Krakauer, M.D.
Breakthrough Treatments: Brain Tumor Vaccines and Direct-to-the-Brain Chemotherapy
Henry Brem, M.D.
Meet Our Speakers
Marilyn Albert (Research profile)
Memory Disorders, Alzheimer's disease
- Dementia Detective
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: Advances in Alzheimer’s Research
- Finding Alzheimer's Disease Before Symptoms Start
Amy Bastian (Research profile)
Movement disorders, Motor learning defects, Damage to the central nervous system
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: Stroke Rehabilitation
- Wall Street Journal After a Stroke, Therapy Gets Faster
Henry Brem (Research profile)
Brain cancer treatments, Neurosurgery
Aravinda Chakravarti (Research profile)
Genomics; Complex genetic diseases; Genetics of mental illness, heart disease and birth defects
- Scientific Team Sequences 1092 Human Genomes To Determine Standard Range Of Human Genetic Variation
- The Scientist The Road Less Traveled
- Genome-Wide Hunts Reveal New Regulators of Blood Pressure
David Foster (Research profile)
Spatial learning, Navigation
- Q and A with David Foster: His interests in the brain and mind go way back
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: A New Breakthrough in Understanding How Memory and Imagination Work
- Going Places: Rat Brain 'GPS' Maps Routes to Rewards
- The Hippocampus’ Remembrance of Things Past
Argye Hillis (Research profile)
Recovery of speech and cognition after stroke or traumatic brain injury, Brain imaging
- Exploring language recovery for stroke patients
- Knowing traumatic brain injury's potential
- A New Take on Two Effects of Stroke
Richard Huganir (Research profile)
How connections change between neurons in the brain, Learning and memory on a molecular level, Obama BRAIN Initiative
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: How Obama’s BRAIN Initiative Could Change Brain Science
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: Learning, Memory, Fear & PTSD
- Q and A with Rick Huganir on erasing emotional memory
- Bloomberg Businessweek Innnovator: Richard Huganir
- PBS If we erase our memories, do we erase ourselves?
John Walter Krakauer (Research profile)
Motor learning and motor control; Effects of stroke on motor learning
- Stroke Damage in Mice Overcome by Training that ‘Rewires’ Brain Centers
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: Motor Skills
- A High-Tech Way to Boost Stroke Recovery
- WYPR Midday with Dan Rodricks:Keeping the Aging Mind Young
David Linden (Research profile)
- Learning coordinated movements; motor learning in the cerebellum
- Q and A with David Linden on the formation of memory, the fun of lab work
and his book The Compass of Pleasure
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: The Science of Memory
- Pleasure's Paths
Mollie Meffert (Research profile)
Memory formation on the molecular level, gene expression, microRNAs
- Making Memories: How One Protein Does It
- Q and A with Mollie Meffert on memory and NFkappaB
- Reducing memory to a molecule: A researcher explores the molecular essence of memory
Jeffrey Rothstein (Research profile)
Neuromuscular diseases, like Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also called Lou Gerig's disease; glutamate receptors; neurodegeneration; patient-specific stem cells
- Brain Science Institute's Brain Talk: Finding a Cure for ALS
- ‘Individualized’ Therapy for the Brain Targets Specific Gene Mutations Causing Dementia and ALS
- Tracking the True Culprit Behind ALS
- News-Medical Oligodendroglia cells: An interview with Jeffrey Rothstein
Hongjun Song (Research profile)
Adult stem cells in the brain; schizophrenia and other mental disorders