Suburban Hospital is an acute-care, medical-surgical hospital with a focus on complex care, fully accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospital receives approximately 13,500 inpatient admissions annually (with slight declines in 2020 due to COVID-19). Medical Staff includes approximately 1,000 credentialed physicians, of which 400 are active physicians.
Suburban Hospital by the Numbers
Data for the fiscal year 2020.
Average length of stay
41,725 Emergency Department Visits
Hospital-based outpatient surgery
228 Licensed Beds
1,800+ Hospital Employees
500+ Nursing Staff
Other Facts About the Hospital:
- Designated regional trauma center for Montgomery County, one of nine regional trauma centers in Maryland. Fully equipped with an elevated helipad. Treats about 1,200 trauma patients each year.
- Offers radiation and surgical oncology as part of the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center for the National Capital Region. Recognized by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- Provides cardiac surgery, elective and emergency angioplasty as well as inpatient, diagnostic and rehabilitation services through Johns Hopkins Cardiothoracic Surgery at Suburban.
- Provides comprehensive treatment for multiple brain and nervous system conditions—including brain tumors, movement disorders and general neurosurgical care—through the on-site Johns Hopkins neurosurgical team.
- Maintains a 24-hour stroke team, as well as state-of-the-art diagnostic pathology and radiology departments.
- Operates a full-service Emergency Department, treating more than 45,000 patients annually, which includes the Shaw Family Pediatric Emergency Center exclusively for children and adolescents.
- Home to both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health programs, as well as an Addiction Treatment Center, offering day treatment programs to adolescents and adults.
- Runs an extensive community health and wellness program that invested more than $28 million in community benefit contributions in FY 2019, including 2,553 community health improvement programs, screenings, classes and activities that served 75,062 individuals in Montgomery County.
- Maintains a free physician referral service: visit HopkinsDC.org or call 1‑855‑546‑3939 weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m
Suburban Hospital, Inc. and Suburban Hospital Healthcare System, Inc. are members of The Johns Hopkins Health System Obligated Group (“JHHS Obligated Group”). The JHHS Obligated Group maintains a solid financial position, including “AA“ ratings by Standard & Poor’s and Fitch and a “Aa2” rating by Moody’s.
Suburban Hospital is governed by a 25-member volunteer Board of Trustees from the community:
- Chair: Mary Ellen Beliveau
- Interim President: LeighAnn Sidone, D.N.P., R.N., C.E.N.P
Suburban Hospital Joint Ventures and Affiliations
- The National Institutes of Health
- NRH/Suburban Regional Rehab (a physical rehabilitation network of Suburban Hospital and the National Rehabilitation Hospital)
- Potomac Home Health Care and Potomac Home Support (with Sibley Memorial Hospital)
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging