Suburban Hospital: Facts & Figures
Suburban Hospital is an acute-care, medical-surgical hospital with a focus on complex care, fully accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospital receives approximately 13,500 inpatient admissions annually (with slight declines in 2020 due to COVID-19). Medical Staff includes approximately 1,000 credentialed physicians, of which 400 are active physicians.
Suburban Hospital by the Numbers
Average length of stay
Emergency Department Visits
Hospital-based outpatient surgery
Other Facts About the Hospital:
- Designated regional trauma center for Montgomery County, one of nine regional trauma centers in Maryland. Fully equipped with an elevated helipad. Treats about 1,200 trauma patients each year.
- Offers radiation and surgical oncology as part of the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center for the National Capital Region. Recognized by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- Provides cardiac surgery, elective and emergency angioplasty as well as inpatient, diagnostic and rehabilitation services through Johns Hopkins Cardiothoracic Surgery at Suburban.
- Provides comprehensive treatment for multiple brain and nervous system conditions—including brain tumors, movement disorders and general neurosurgical care—through the on-site Johns Hopkins neurosurgical team.
- Maintains a 24-hour stroke team, as well as state-of-the-art diagnostic pathology and radiology departments.
- Operates a full-service Emergency Department, treating more than 45,000 patients annually, which includes the Shaw Family Pediatric Emergency Center exclusively for children and adolescents.
- Home to both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health programs, as well as an Addiction Treatment Center, offering day treatment programs to adolescents and adults.
- Runs an extensive community health and wellness program that invested more than $28 million in community benefit contributions in FY 2019, including 2,553 community health improvement programs, screenings, classes and activities that served 75,062 individuals in Montgomery County.
- Maintains a free physician referral service: call 1‑855‑546‑3939 weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m
Suburban Hospital, Inc. and Suburban Hospital Healthcare System, Inc. are members of The Johns Hopkins Health System Obligated Group (“JHHS Obligated Group”). The JHHS Obligated Group maintains a solid financial position, including “AA“ ratings by Standard & Poor’s and Fitch and a “Aa2” rating by Moody’s.
Suburban Hospital is governed by a 25-member volunteer Board of Trustees from the community:
- Chair: Mary Ellen Beliveau
- President & Chief Operating Officer: Jessica Melton, M.H.A.
Suburban Hospital Joint Ventures and Affiliations
- The National Institutes of Health
- NRH/Suburban Regional Rehab (a physical rehabilitation network of Suburban Hospital and the National Rehabilitation Hospital)
- Johns Hopkins Care at Home - Potomac (with Sibley Memorial Hospital)
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging