I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
High School Students
Opportunities for high school students.
Summer Internship program for undergraduate students.
Please Note:Due to the ongoing challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, all Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine summer research programs for visiting pre-college and undergraduate students will be held remotely/via online delivery for 2021.
The Pathway Programs support and partner with programs and initiatives that have a relationship with Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHUSOM) and serve to prepare and inspire talented high school, undergraduate, and postbaccalaureate students from communities underrepresented in medicine (UIM).
While each Pathway Program and initiative has its own distinct goals for students, all strive to:
- Encourage UIM students to consider careers in medicine and/or biomedical science.
- Provide UIM students with skills training, academic, social and emotional support, mentoring, and encouragement to enhance their success.
Building The Pathway Programs for UIM Students
Numerous studies document the disparities in the quality of health and health care among different racial, ethnic and socio-economic groups. Experts agree that increasing diversity in the health care workforce is essential to effectively address these health care disparities.
The Pathway Programs and initiatives contribute to increasing diversity and inclusion within the health care workforce by aiding in the reduction of barriers and the creation of opportunities that assist UIM students in their pursuit of careers in medicine and/or biomedical science.
Overview of Services
The Pathway Programs:
- Register and ensures compliance of JHUSOM Pathway Programs and initiatives with Johns Hopkins University policies.
- Tracks progress of JHUSOM Pathways Programs.
- Collect and shares best practices.
- Develop external outreach strategies and supporting activities.
- Facilitate resource development.
- Host the annual Hopkins C.A.R.E.S. Symposium
Office of School of Medicine High School & Undergraduate Internship Programs
The JHM Office of Strategic Workforce Development will provide JHM access processing support for current Secondary or Post-Secondary students engaged in an academic internships sponsored by a SOM department and an outside High School or Undergraduate educational institution (non-Hopkins).