Open the Johns Hopkins search window with the enter key and close it with the escape key;
School of Medicine 125th Anniversary
Since the late 19th century, our community of physicians, researchers, alumni and students has helped us build a premier learning institution that rewards hard work, inquiry and collaboration. After 125 years, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine continues to set the standard of excellence in patient care, research and education in the United States and beyond.
Then: The Johns Hopkins Billings Administration Building
The Johns Hopkins Billings building in the early 1900s. It served as a residence to doctors in training until the 1950s. As a result, those trainees came to be referred to as residents.
Now: The Johns Hopkins Billings Administration Building
Today, the Billings building houses administrative offices.
The first medical school class graduated in 1897.
The graduating class of 2017 was vastly more diverse than the first — both in terms of gender and ethnicity. Among the graduates was Nancy Abu-Bonsrah,
the first black female resident in neurosurgery.
William H. Welch, the first dean of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, also became the founding dean of the United States’ first school of public health, which today is called the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Paul B. Rothman, M.D. now serves as dean of the medical faculty and vice president for medicine at The Johns Hopkins University and chief executive officer of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Then: Female Faculty
A graduate of the school of medicine, Florence Sabin was the first woman appointed full professor in the school of medicine, in 1917. A bronze statue of Sabin stands in the U.S. Capitol, honoring her many contributions to anatomy and histology.
Now: Female Faculty
Today, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine has more than 250 tenured female faculty members, including one of the most recently named professors:
Akila Viswanathan, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc., professor of radiation oncology and molecular radiation sciences.
Students in chemistry lab, 1910
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine is now home to
more than 160 basic science labs alone. More than 1,500 faculty members within the school of medicine have federal funding to support their basic, translational or clinical trials research.
Then: Surgical Practice and Training
Using small mannequins, pediatric neurogureon Benjamin Carson and his surgical team rehearse for a 2006 operation to separate siamese twins joined at the head.
Now: Surgical Practice and Training
The large single-patient rooms in The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center building allow enough space for pediatric residents to hold training sessions.
Then: Hurd Hall
Grand rounds in the 1950s took place in Hurd Hall, named after Henry Mills Hurd, professor of psychiatry and the first director of The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Now: Hurd Hall
Hurd Hall is still a common venue for many of the school’s featured events, including the medical students’ white coat ceremonies.
As pediatrician-in-chief at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Edwards Park, M.D., pioneered a holistic approach to the medical care of children, combining it with intense research, training and community outreach.
Tina Cheng, M.D., M.P.H., was named director of pediatrics and pediatrician-in-chief of The Johns Hopkins Hospital in 2016. Prior to that appointment, Cheng was recognized for developing community-integrated models of primary care to address the needs of vulnerable children, adolescents and families.
Then: Classroom Instruction
Physical chemistry lecture in 1903
Now: Classroom Instruction
Medical students engaged in a presentation
Then: Bedside Teaching
Bedside teaching is one of the cornerstones of academic medicine, a concept that was pioneered by Hopkins’ own Sir William Osler, one of the four founding professors of The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Now: Bedside Teaching
In 2016, the school of medicine developed that concept even further by rolling out a
Primary Care Leadership Track designed to bring medical students face to face with patients and community doctors.
Then: Landmark Surgery
In 1901, surgeon-in-chief William Halsted, an early champion of the newly discovered antiseptic techniques, invited senior members of his surgical staff to participate in an “all-star operation” as a dedication of the newly erected building bearing his name.
Make a Gift
Celebrating 125 years of excellence in science, discovery and clinical care is only possible because of our strong foundation of support. Give to the School of Medicine and help us recruit exceptional students who aspire to launch high-impact careers in medicine or biomedical science, regardless of financial need.
Ways to Give
back to top button