At Johns Hopkins Medicine, research is the backbone of what we do. From stem cell therapy to epigenetics, from bench to bedside, our researchers are among the best in their field. Research is more than just a job — it’s a passion. Watch to find out how today’s discoveries are building a better tomorrow.Play Video:
Individualized Care for Patients – Dr. Nancy Li Schoenborn
The goal of Dr. Nancy Li Schoenborn and her team is to improve communication between doctors and older adults so care decisions can be tailored to their needs.
Heart Attack in a Dish – Dr. Brian O’Rourke
Dr. Brian O’Rourke and his laboratory study how mitochondria, the cellular powerhouses of the heart, contribute to heart attacks and heart failure.
The Effects of Huntington’s Disease – Dr. Christopher A. Ross
Dr. Christopher Ross and his lab are studying the complementary approach to treat Huntington’s disease by developing mouse models, which have progressive symptoms that are similar to those of patients.
WATCH MORE Video Series: Discoveries for a Better Tomorrow
- Neurons That Control Biological Rhythms and Sleep - Dr. Seth Blackshaw
- Using Human Neurons to Prevent Brain Injury - Dr. Valina Dawson
- Keeping Memories Safe - Dr. Ted Dawson
- The Science Behind Memory Formation - Dr. Richard Huganir
- Treating Alzheimer’s Disease – Dr. Constantine Lyketsos
- Fusion Spinal Surgeries – Timothy Witham, M.D.
- Huntington Disease and Its Effects – Dr. Jee Bang
- The Effects of Huntington’s Disease – Dr. Christopher A. Ross
- Regulating the Brain’s Inflammatory Response – Dr. Norman James Haughey
- Motor Neuron Disorders – Dr. Charlotte Jane Sumner
- Why Do People Walk the Way They Do? – Dr. Ryan Roemmich
- Treating Back and Neck Pain – Dr. Nicholas Theodore
- How the Brain Processes Incentives and Rewards | Vikram S. Chib, Ph.D.
- Using Data to Diagnose Brain Diseases | Michael I. Miller, Ph.D.
- Chemotherapy-Resistant Breast Cancer Stem Cells - Dr. Gregg Semenza
- Understanding the Immune System— Dr. Joel Pomerantz
- Giving Immune Response a Nano-Boost— Dr. Jonathan Schneck
- Innovative Strategies for Treating Brain Tumors—Dr. Henry Brem
- A Missile for Cancer — Dr. Theodore DeWeese
- Stopping the Spread of Breast Cancer Cells - Andrew Ewald, Ph.D.
- Solar Radiation on Skin – Sewon Kang, M.D.
- Treating Prostate Cancer – Urologic Oncologist Kenneth Pienta
- Reducing Cancer Deaths – Nickolas Papadopoulos, Ph.D.
- Detecting Prostate Cancer Early – Alan Partin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Protecting Against UV Radiation – Anna Chien, M.D.
- Rethinking the Spread of Metastatic Cancer | Malcolm Brock, M.D.
- Donors for Bone Marrow Transplant | Javier Bolaños-Meade, M.D.
- Ubiquitin Signals - Cynthia Wolberger, Ph.D.
- When Cell Division Goes Wrong - Dr. Andrew Holland
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease – Dr. Maria Oliva-Hemker
- Cell Movement and Health—Dr. Peter Devreotes
- From Dysfunctional Cells to Disease - Dr. Rong Li
- Controlling the Balance Between Salt and Water - Dr. William Guggino
- Bacteria and Antibiotics – Erin D. Goley, Ph.D
- Understanding the Purpose of Bacterial Cells within Your Body – Jie Xiao, Ph.D.
- Therapy for Aortic Aneurysms—Dr. Hal Dietz
- The Missing Connection Between Heart Failure and Heart Arrhythmias — Dr. Mark Anderson
- Tapping into the Heart’s Strategy – Jennifer Lawton, M.D.
- Preventing Cardiovascular Disease – Erin Michos, M.D.
- Preventing Heart Failure – David Alan Kass, M.D.
- Heart Attack in a Dish – Dr. Brian O’Rourke
- Heart Rhythm Abnormalities – Dr. Hugh Calkins
- Cardiovascular Imaging | Joao A. C. Lima, M.D., M.B.A.
- Gene Organization - Karen L. Reddy, Ph.D.
- Energy for a Longer Life - Dr. Dan Arking
- Talking About Family Health History - Dr. Joann Bodurtha
- When Cell Division Goes Wrong—Dr. Andrew Holland
- Informing Drug Development and Choice of Therapy - Andrew McCallion, Ph.D.
- Treating Progeria in Children – Susan Michaelis, Ph.D.
- Understanding Anorexia Nervosa – Angela Guarda, M.D.
- Treating Substance Abuse – Eric Strain, Ph.D.
- Helping Teens Suffering with Depression – Karen Swartz, M.D.
- Depression and Anxiety During Pregnancy – Lauren Osborne, M.D.
- Mindfulness Meditation – Neda Gould, Ph.D.
- Cognitive Interventions – Dr. George Rebok
- A Different Approach to Treating Psychiatric Disorders | Atsushi Kamiya, M.D.
- Exploiting the Weakness of Mosquitoes - Christopher Potter, Ph.D.
- Using Modern Technology to Prevent Disease Infection – Maria Trent, M.D.
- Living a Fuller Life with HIV - Dr. Justin McArthur
- Preventing Bacterial Infections – Lloyd Miller, M.D., Ph.D.
- Improving the Practice of Prescribing Antibiotics – Dr. Morgan Katz