Although it may be difficult to identify specific causes of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), our Johns Hopkins team has learned that POTS responds well to certain treatments.
POTS Program: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
- Our team uses state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment and testing, but our focus is on optimizing treatment and long-term management of POTS.
- We bring together specialists in rehabilitation, cardiology, neurology, physical therapy and other fields to provide well-rounded care for POTS patients.
- Our team has developed a tailored treatment program for in-state and out-of-state patients that includes exercises and other treatments you can continue at home.
- Teens and children with POTS get specialized care from our pediatric POTS experts who understand the unique POTS challenges for younger patients. We offer unparalleled continuity of care if your teen needs to transition to an adult specialist.
Request An Appointment
POTS Treatment: What to Expect at Johns Hopkins
Consultation and Evaluation
POTS affects every person differently, so we start with a consultation and evaluation to discuss your symptoms and challenges. Our team may order tests to further evaluate your condition and the function of your autonomic nervous system. The tests may include:
- Tilt table test
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test (QSART) — sweat test
- Valsalva maneuver (breathing/cardiac test)
- Skin biopsy
- Blood work
- Evaluation by a physical therapist
Once we better understand the specific symptoms related to POTS that interfere with your daily life, our team will develop a treatment plan that may include:
- Increasing your water intake
- Lifestyle adjustments, such as changing the way you get up or sit down
- Medications for POTS and/or any underlying conditions
- Physical therapy tailored to your exercise tolerance
- Counseling to help you and your family develop coping skills that will help you navigate life with POTS
Johns Hopkins Health Care & Surgery Center - Green Spring Station
10803 Falls Rd.
Lutherville, MD 21093
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21224
110 W Timonium Rd.
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093