Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic procedure to change the size or shape of the nose to achieve more balance and symmetry of the facial features and improve appearance. A rhinoplasty can also be simultaneously performed with procedures to improve the function of the nose by correcting obstructed breathing.
Rhinoplasty: Before and After Pictures
Rhinoplasty: Why Choose Johns Hopkins Facial Plastic Surgery?
- You can be confident in our approach, which takes into account your general health, age and skin type, and what you want to achieve.
- Our surgeons take a holistic approach to rhinoplasty, considering the balance and harmony among each area of the face and its proportions.
- Our team is extraordinarily experienced. Our four full time faculty members are each internationally renowned experts in facial plastic surgery who focus on rhinoplasty.
- With a large number of patients and an experienced faculty, we offer a rare degree of skill and expertise in even the most complex procedures.
- Our expert facial cosmetic surgeons consider each patient’s age, ethnicity and skin type, and approach each procedure with artistry and an eye for balance.
Choosing a specialist is very important in rhinoplasty. This procedure is considered by many to be the most complex operation in all of plastic surgery. Our surgeons are double board certified in both facial plastic surgery and otolaryngology–head and neck surgery (ear, nose and throat — ENT — surgery). This means they have each spent decades becoming experts in both the inside and outside of the nose. In addition, they focus on rhinoplasty, including revision cases that make up a large part of our practice.
Rhinoplasty: What to Expect
One of our experts will conduct a thorough examination and discuss your personal goals for your rhinoplasty. Some procedures can address cosmetic concerns and breathing issues at the same time.
During your consultation, our staff will take photographs and review your medical history, skin type, age and ethnic background. The surgeon will explain how the nasal bones and cartilage can be sculpted to reshape the nose.
The rhinoplasty surgery can take place in the hospital, outpatient surgery center or our office-based surgical facility. It is performed under anesthesia to ensure your comfort.
If the rhinoplasty requires cartilage grafts, the surgeon will begin by removing a small segment of cartilage from the ear or a rib. This will allow our surgeon to add cartilage in the nose where it is deficient. Small dissolvable stiches are used to close incisions.
Afterward, the surgeon will place a small splint on the nose to protect it and support the new structure. In some cases, absorbent dressings may be packed inside the nose. The surgical care team will provide you with care instructions to ensure the best result, prevent infection and address discomfort. These may include instructions about:
- Taking pain medication
- Using cold compresses to minimize swelling
- Elevating the head while sleeping
- Avoiding strenuous activity during recovery
Swelling of the nose is common and may continue for several weeks. You may also notice bruising around the nose and eyes. The nose is fully healed in one year.
Revision Septo-Rhinoplasty | FAQ with Dr. Shaun Desai, M.D.
Facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon Shaun Desai, describes revision septo-rhinoplasty (corrective nose surgery), explains who are the ideal candidates for this procedure and discusses how to choose the best facial plastic surgeon.
Costs vary according to the reason for the surgery and its complexity. Factors influencing cost include:
- Whether you are undergoing new or revision surgery
- Expected duration of the operation
- Location where surgery takes place
- If the procedure requires rib or ear cartilage grafting
Our office can provide a cost range over the phone for cosmetic rhinoplasty, which is not covered by insurance.
After the consultation, our office will generate a cost estimate following the surgeon’s recommendations. If the procedure is medically necessary and accepted by insurance, our team will provide procedure and diagnosis codes to determine your co-insurance, deductible and any copays. If the rhinoplasty is for both functional and cosmetic reasons, our office will provide guidance.
Our doctors are board certified in both otolaryngology–head and neck surgery and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, which gives our team a unique and comprehensive level of expertise.