If you are concerned about hair loss, you may be a candidate for a hair transplant. A hair transplant is a procedure performed by a skilled surgeon that relocates healthy hair to areas of the scalp where hair loss is noticeable.
Hair Transplant: Why Choose Johns Hopkins Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Our team is dedicated to helping people feel healthy and confident in their appearance.
- Patients can be confident in our approach, which considers the patient’s goals, age and ethnicity.
- We take a holistic approach to hair transplantation, considering the balance and harmony among each area of the scalp and face.
Hair Transplant: What to Expect
The entire procedure takes five to eight hours. Our expert team will ensure your comfort by administering a local anesthetic to numb your scalp.
During the hair transplant, the surgeon will remove a segment of hair and skin from the back of the head, either in a narrow band or as single hairs along with their attached roots. Hair that is removed in a band is separated into single hairs under a microscope and then transplanted into the new location.
Afterward, you will get care instructions to ensure the best result, prevent infection and address discomfort. These may include:
- Taking pain medication
- Using cold compresses to minimize swelling
- Keeping your head elevated while sleeping
- Avoiding strenuous activity during recovery
Facial swelling is common and may persist for a few days after the procedure. Swelling often begins at the scalp and transitions toward the forehead and face before dissipating. Many patients choose to take a week away from work until the swelling is gone.
An expert from our team will ensure you understand what to expect in the months following surgery, including shedding and regrowth, which is normal in the first few months.
In some cases, more than one procedure may be needed to achieve the desired result. Your doctor may recommend platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments to enhance the growth of your hair transplant.
Hair Transplant Cost
The cost of hair restoration and transplantation will be determined by several factors:
- Whether you need or want extraction of a follicular unit (single hairs extracted one by one) or a strip (a strip of hair and skin extracted as a single unit and separated before transplantation)
- The number of hair grafts you will need
- The length of time treatment is needed
Lisa Ishii, M.D., is board certified in both otolaryngology–head and neck surgery and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, which gives her a unique and comprehensive level of expertise.