Chin implants are used in chin surgery (genioplasty) to add volume to the chin and provide symmetry to the face or a more defined contour to the chin.
Visible scarring is minimal after the procedure because our experts make the incision either inside the mouth or under the chin.
Chin Implants: Why Choose Johns Hopkins?
- You can be confident in our approach, which takes into account your general health, age, skin type and what you want to achieve.
- Our surgeons take a holistic approach to cheek and chin implants, considering the balance and harmony among each area of the face and its proportions.
- Our expert facial cosmetic surgeons perform chin implant procedures with surgical skill, artistry and an eye for balance.
Chin Implants: What to Expect
Our expert team will provide anesthesia to ensure your comfort during the surgery. The surgeon will insert the chin implant through an incision inside the mouth or under the chin, leaving little to no visible scar. These removable implants are pliable and come in a variety of shapes and sizes to ensure a custom fit for each patient.
After the Procedure
Your surgeon will place bandages on the surgery area immediately after the procedure and provide you with care instructions, which may include:
- Keeping your head elevated to reduce swelling
- Applying cold compresses
- Taking prescribed pain medication
- Avoiding chewing for a few days after the procedure
Most people feel a tight sensation around the chin after surgery that will subside in one to two weeks, when the skin has adjusted to the implant.
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Johns Hopkins | Q&A
Lisa Ishii, M.D., a Johns Hopkins facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, answers frequently asked questions about facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. She provides information on when and why you should consult a facial plastic surgeon and what you can expect at your first appointment.
Our doctors are board certified in both otolaryngology-head and neck surgery and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, which gives our team a unique and comprehensive level of expertise.