I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Home > News and Publications > JHM Publications > Johns Hopkins Medicine Suburban > New Directions Summer 2012
Johns Hopkins Medicine Suburban - Nurses Study Way to Ease Patient Pain
New Directions Summer 2012
Nurses Study Way to Ease Patient Pain
Date: June 1, 2012
Elaine Rochon, RN, and Jo-Anne Harron, RN, tested topical anesthesia on patients to alleviate pain on IV insertion.
For some, a blood draw or an IV insertion can be an uncomfortable and sometimes painful experience. In response to feedback the hospital received from older patients who experienced pain with IV insertion, nurses at Suburban researched the literature and found evidence that applying a topical anesthesia before a puncture could reduce pain significantly. So they launched a pilot study of their own at Suburban.
Nurses applied topical anesthesia to 20 patients older than 65 years of age who were having surgery or were recovering from surgery and needed an IV restarted. Their findings indicate that in our older patient population, using a local anesthetic cream is effective for reducing the pain of IV insertion. The nurses presented their findings at a national nursing conference this spring. Additionally, the nurses are in the process of presenting the study results and recommendations to hospital leadership.
Articles in this Issue
Inside this Issue
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Making Great Strides
- Noteworthy! Suburban Becomes Exclusive Health Sponsor for Girls on the Run Moco!
- President’s Message
- Summertime, Summertime, Sum…Sum… Summertime
- Identifying Your Caregivers with Ease
- And the Winners Are….! Nurses and Techs Honored at Suburban
- FDA Authorizes New Stem Cell Trial at Suburban Hospital
- Noteworthy! Sleep Disorders Center Earns Accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- JHCP Update: Expanded Specialty Care at JHCP’s Downtown Bethesda Practice
- Saturday Hours for Primary Care and Pediatrics at JHCP – North Bethesda
- 2012 Showcase Spectacular Benefits Cardiac Care
- Pediatric Care at JHCP – North Bethesda
- Patient Service Center in New Chevy Chase Location
- Nurses Hold Key Role in Unique Care Model for Heart Patients
- Way to Go! Radial Artery Catheterization
- Nurses Study Way to Ease Patient Pain
- Why Suburban?